We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta Airport Question

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta Airport Question

I will be arriving at Atlanta airport from Toronto (we go through U.S. customs in Toronto). We have a connecting flight to Puerto Vallarta. Will we need to pick up our luggage when we arrive in Atlanta and go though screening again? We will be flying with Delta for both flights.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,133 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta Airport Question

"Will we need to pick up our luggage when we arrive in Atlanta and go though screening again?" - As long as flights are on the same ticket you won't need to collect bags but might need to clear airport security depending on the arrival/departure terminals but it's unlikely.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta Airport Question

Yes, you will need to pick it up and go through screening again, but if it is one ticket, then it should be an easy process. They have it all set up in a separate area that you automatically go through after you deplane and collect your bags and where you just "transfer" it to the screening conveyor belt which is for your next connecting flight. They may have a separate line for international versus domestic transfers, but it should be a pretty smooth process overall.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta Airport Question

No. If you are precleared with Customs and immigration in Toronto then this is considered a domestic flight and the airline will transfer your luggage. (Assuming it is all on one ticket)

If for some reason your flight does not have you clear customs and immigration in Toronto then you do pick up your luggage, walk through customs and hand the luggage back to the airline.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta Airport Question

The above is correct, as long as you pre clear in YYZ, you will not need to pick up your luggage on the way down. You will need to collect it on the return though if you are going via a US city on the way to YYZ.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlanta Airport Question

I disagree with the advice given in #2. If you preclear and are all on one ticket you do not have to pick your luggage up until your final destination. When you arrive at ATL it will be just like you arrived on a domestic flight. Just walk (and/or) take train from your arrival gate to your departure gate.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlanta Airport Question

Thank you everyone for your replies. One quick question -- when you say 'on one ticket', what does that mean? When I log into Delta and see my flight it says YYZ - PVR (then when I click to look further the Toronto-Atlanta and Atlanta-Puerto Vallarta flights are shown separately, but under the same confirmation number). Does this mean it is on one ticket? Sorry for the silly questions, I haven't done connecting flights before.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,133 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlanta Airport Question

"but under the same confirmation number). Does this mean it is on one ticket?" - As long as the flights are on the same confirmation number or the same PNR then they will be on a single ticket.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlanta Airport Question

Last time we went through ATL to Roatan we didn't have to claim our luggage and go through customs and re-check but we did have to go through TSA again. Ask when you check in to be sure in case there has been a change in procedure.

9. Re: Atlanta Airport Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:16