We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair Cabin Baggage put in Hold

Liverpool
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ryanair Cabin Baggage put in Hold

A quote from a Which guide.

"According to the Montreal Convention, airlines are responsible for the bags they allow you to check in, although their liability is limited.

If you're carrying something valuable, either get a 'special declaration of interest in the delivery of your luggage' from the airline or carry the item in your hand luggage."

Ryanair's own T&Cs say they will only pay for damage to checked-in luggage.

So I decide to take my valuable and/or fragile item as hand luggage, absolving Ryanair of responsibility. But they take it off me and put it in the hold. Is it now checked in, making me eligible for compensation? Or is it still my responsibility even though it is totally out of my control?

In practice I'm talking about the canvas hold-all I use for hand luggage which weighs three kilos less than my similar sized suitcase which I would want to use if I was entrusting my stuff to baggage-handlers. But what is the technical answer about lost or damaged luggage that was put in the hold even though it didn't get checked in initially?

Edited: 13 May 2014, 19:43
bournemouth
Level Contributor
187 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair Cabin Baggage put in Hold

hi

i am sorry i have no idea what the answer to this is!

but OMG

what an interesting question..... will be very keen to see the responses......i use RA all the time with hand luggage only..... but have never thought about this.......curious

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair Cabin Baggage put in Hold

Why did they take it off you and put it in the hold please?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair Cabin Baggage put in Hold

Hasn't happened to me yet, but apparently they will only take the first ninety items of hand luggage in the cabin. After that it goes in the hold (no charge) even though it meets their specifications.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair Cabin Baggage put in Hold

Why did they take it off you and put it in the hold please?

--------------------

Not in the first 90 bags?

Edit... Beat me to it.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 19:51
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair Cabin Baggage put in Hold

Or too big?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair Cabin Baggage put in Hold

My parents said that they were coming round all the passengers at Edinburgh last week asking people if they wanted their (wheeled) bags tagged and put into the hold. Didn't sound like it was folk in a queue, just when they were sitting by the gate.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,010 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair Cabin Baggage put in Hold

"But they take it off me and put it in the hold. Is it now checked in, making me eligible for compensation? Or is it still my responsibility even though it is totally out of my control?"

If it's gate checked it's checked luggage.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair Cabin Baggage put in Hold

If a member of Ryanair staff approached me at the gate and offered to put my luggage in the hold without charge, I hope I would have the presence of mind to ask whether it would become checked-in luggage and eligible for compensation under the Montreal Convention!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair Cabin Baggage put in Hold

Ahhhh...this never happened,,,it was simply a theoretical question? Two questions?? does it make a difference if it's gate checked or normally checked,,my opinion is no.

Second question, are they liable for the " valuable" My opinion would be if it was taken off you as it was either over sized or because it's not in first ninety bags, the airline clearly explains this can happen and the airline clearly states no valuable in checked luggage, as such they are not liable. They do not have to transport your valuable. It's your choice and your risk to take it. When you accept the terms and conditions you accept this contractually.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,567 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair Cabin Baggage put in Hold

They are as responsible for it as they would be if you had checked it in at the desk. So yes, damage, theft or delay *through their negligence* would be covered under the terms of the Montreal Convention.

However, it is up to you to prove your loss. Just saying "My iPad was stolen" won't cut it. In this new regime it is perfectly possible for an otherwise acceptable carry-on bag to be placed in the hold, simply because it is number 91+. If that bag is being carried on because it contains mainly valuable and/or fragile items, it is clearly not possible for them all to go into the "personal item".

Therefore they really should make available a form to make the special declaration envisaged by the Montreal Convention. Unfortunately if they don't, there is very little you can do,

Edited: 13 May 2014, 20:06