We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this correct advice regard a connecting flights in US.

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Is this correct advice regard a connecting flights in US.

Originally Post

yes if you get the choice do the 2.5 hours but if the 70 mins one is cheaper just book that, they will book you on the next one as its a connection free of charge.

I replied

That is the worst bit of advice I have heard in a long time. If there are no seats available on the next flight, you won't get on. Could be next day or later until you get to MCO.

The answer

all the better then you get compensation, and you will be put up in the hotel.

To give balance I did state its maybe not for the nervous, but I would definitely take 70 minutes if it was a lot cheaper.

In New York there are 31 flights per day to Orlando.

The key here is to know your options, then make the choices in line with your own parameters, its not so much advice as letting people know the knock on effects.

Is this correct, will they put you in a hotel and pay compensation?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this correct advice regard a connecting flights in US.

It depends on the reason. They don't have to for a weather related delay, but will for something like their was a mechanical failure to their own aircraft. It really just depends.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,030 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this correct advice regard a connecting flights in US.

"Is this correct, will they put you in a hotel and pay compensation?" - In some cases they will put you in a hotel, others no, it all depends on the reason you missed the connecting flight. The only hope for compensation would be under EU261 for flights departing from the EU.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this correct advice regard a connecting flights in US.

Compensation depends why it was late. If the flight was late due to weather related issues, probably the most common cause, no they won't. If you missed your connection because of immigration hold ups (extremely likely with a 70 minute connection) then no compensation would be due either.

If its a US airline and weather related then from what I read they may not put you up in a hotel either.

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this correct advice regard a connecting flights in US.

This is what I thought , thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,511 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this correct advice regard a connecting flights in US.

In addition to what's stated above, you can't put a dollar value in not getting to your destination as originally planned. Just because it's a protected connection, doesn't necessarily mean it's practical. And never mind compensation, because it's *after* the fact, and all the inconvenience - and that's just the flight component.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,138 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this correct advice regard a connecting flights in US.

I would never book a 70min. connection when coming in on an international flight!

You will not make it and the hassle is not worth it!

IF you are just making a domestic to domestic connection then that is quite a different story!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,441 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this correct advice regard a connecting flights in US.

Why someone would take a chance like that in the hopes of compensation is beyond me. Some people will do anything I suppose for the chance of "free money"

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
37,486 posts
950 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this correct advice regard a connecting flights in US.

I agree with others, regarding the 70 min. Intl. connection. Much too tight for me.

For Intl., I will allow 3 hours, and in some airports, 4.

I would always rather spend a few extra mins. in an airport Lounge, than risk missing a day, or more of my trip.

With the above, I have only had to run to make one connection, and made that. That is for about 30 Intl. flights, so not too bad.

Domestic (US) I have missed but two connections, and both due to weather. Fortunately, we were on the return leg for both, so other than not sleeping in my bed, nothing was really lost. However, were I headed out to an expensive holiday, and missed a day in "paradise," I might have been miffed. In both cases, weather was the cause of the delay, so I would have had no real backup, or recourse, but to take the rerouted flights, or a later flight.

Others love to live on the edge, and dash to the gate, just as the doors are closing. I am not one of those, and keep airport Lounge memberships current, to spend any down time, but that is just me.

Fly safely,

Hunt

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this correct advice regard a connecting flights in US.

Wasn't there a post a while back about a passenger missing their flight connection to destination and the hotel they were going to cancelled their booking as they were a no show, so no room for them when they got there? Something else to consider you might lose your hotel and you will lose all your money if prepaid rate.

Deb

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this correct advice regard a connecting flights in US.

>>Wasn't there a post a while back about a passenger missing their flight connection to destination and the hotel they were going to cancelled their booking as they were a no show, so no room for them when they got there?<<

Very valid concern especially to a vacation destination place like Orlando where that room is gone. Minot, North Dakota in the middle of January maybe not so much.