We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United: Vancouver-Chicago-Baltimore

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
United: Vancouver-Chicago-Baltimore

Hey guys,

I will be travelling on United from Vancouver (YVR) to Baltimore (BWI) with a 1 hour 25 minute stop in Chicago (ORD). I heard that connecting flights in the US will require passengers to go through customs, get their luggage, and then check back in again. However, I also heard that passengers travelling from Vancouver will have already completed all US customs at YVR. My question is, will I need to go through customs again in Chicago? Or can I just go straight to my departure gate in Chicago? Also, will my checked luggage make it in time? Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,353 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United: Vancouver-Chicago-Baltimore

My experience at YVR, although not flying to Chicago, is doing check in, drop checked baggage, then security, the US Customs and Immi pre-clearance before heading for your gate. Allow minimum 90 minutes from check in for all that.

If you're flying to final destination on one ticket, not 2 separate flights/tix, your checked luggage should go to final destination. Make sure you mention that when you check in at YVR. The tag should read ORD.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United: Vancouver-Chicago-Baltimore

will I need to go through customs again in Chicago? NO

Or can I just go straight to my departure gate in Chicago?YES

Also, will my checked luggage make it in time? USUALLY, BUT USUAL CHANCE OF DELAYED OR LOSS LUGGAGE.

Thanks! WELCOME!

3. Re: United: Vancouver-Chicago-Baltimore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 07:16