We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Airlines a disappointment

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian Airlines a disappointment

Hi All posting for those who are looking to compare airlines out of Australia to Hawaii.

We were disappointed in Hawaiian Airlines. You have to pay $17 to hire an ipad for movies and TV. There is no music available whatsoever. I last flew to America with Virgin and had all the entertainment free with plenty of radio channels. The plane was quite old with splits in the chairs and plastic moulding. Whilst I liked the meal it was very spicy I am can see why others complained. But my main concern was the leg room I am only 157cm and I had cramped legs the whole trip did not sleep a wink!

The staff were very friendly and plenty of water was on offer. My advice is to take your own Ipod and Ipad and maybe some snacks!

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Airlines a disappointment

I can see that you are not unfamiliar with TA, so I am suprised that you did not do more research before buying your tickets. Then you would have seen what to expect.

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/hawaiian.htm

Reviews cover a lot of the points you raised. I guess fares must be very competitive.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 04:04
Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Airlines a disappointment

Yes the fares are very competitive that is why I posted.....isn't that what this site is all about letting others know your comparisons??? I have now flown both HA and Virgin and have given my opinion....not sure why you gave yours...

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
40,208 posts
1,214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Airlines a disappointment

What cabin-class did you fly?

While we have never flown HA from OZ to HNL, we have flown them from PHX - HNL, but always in FC. While the seats are NOT TPAC, or TALT FC, they have been nice. The legroom on those domestic (US) flights adequate. Still, compared to UA's flights along the same route, there is not much difference, especially when HA nicks one for luggage, etc.. When said and done, UA and HA FC SFO-HNL are almost equal, except that UA Lounges are way above the HA Ali`i Lounges.

Sorry that you had a bad experience.

Hunt

4. Re: Hawaiian Airlines a disappointment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 07:05
Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Airlines a disappointment

We were far from disappointed with our experience of HA.

If you fly out of Brisbane you do need to hire ipads or else take your own, but if you fly out of Sydney all seats have IFE systems. We have flown twice to Hawaii with Hawaiian both through Brisbane and Sydney and we loved both our flights. We did not find them cramped, we seemed to have quite adequate legroom and the plane was in very good condition. Food was good, staff were friendly and helpful, seats were quite comfortable. Perhaps they used an older plane on your flight? We plan on flying with them next time we travel to Hawaii.

6. Re: Hawaiian Airlines a disappointment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:16