We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK Visitor in Transit Visa - Questions

Bengaluru, India
1 post
Save Topic
UK Visitor in Transit Visa - Questions

Hi,

I am a student from India heading to the USA.

I am transiting through London and have a very long layover (22 hours) at Heathrow.

My flight from India arrives at noon at heathrow and the flight to USA departs the next day at 10 am.

My plan is to do some sightseeing in London in my long layover.

The UK site says I need a Visitor in Transit visa if I need to leave the airport. But since I hold a valid visa to USA, I may be exempt from that too ( mentioned in the same site )

My Questions are -

1. Is the Visitor in Transit visa only applicable for people transiting to another airport within UK or can be used for some sightseeing also ?

2. What are the chances of being allowed entry to London without a Visitor in Transit visa ?

3. Even if I get a visa, is there a chance for my entry to London getting denied ?

4. I plan to meet a cousin in London and do some sightseeing with him. I plan to stay at his home for the night. Do I need to disclose this at UK border control office ?

Edited: 14 May 2014, 09:01
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: UK Visitor in Transit Visa - Questions

1 There are no checks on what you do after you have gone through passport control so the question is academic You won't have anyone following you

2. look to be high

3. There's always a chance - but a very low one

4 not sure on this one

Edited: 14 May 2014, 09:24
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK Visitor in Transit Visa - Questions

4. If they ask, tell them. If they dont ask, no need to tell.

Just say you are staying at your cousins and hes showing you round the sites before you depart.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK Visitor in Transit Visa - Questions

Make sure the transit visa let's you leave the airport. Just went through London on Monday and they were checking everyone with Indian passport and asking them about visas. Hears them say to a couple of people that they didn't r have the right visa

UK
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK Visitor in Transit Visa - Questions

Let's get some of the facts...:

Indian nationals normally need a visa, even for an airside transit (known as DATV, Direct Airside Transit Visa)

However, Indians with a valid visa for the USA (and certain other countries) are exempt from the requirement to obtain a visa for airside transits.

Additionally, Indian nationals who are exempt from the DATV requirement may, at the discretion of the examining Immigration officer, be granted permission to go landside for purposes such as travelling to another airport, collecting and rechecking baggage, or spending the night at a hotel. Note - this is a CONCESSION, and it is entirely at the discretion of the Immigration Officer. The concession is known as the 'transit without visa concession'

I have not found anything on the UK Border Force web site saying that you cannot stay with relatives - but if that is your plan then you should make sure that you have some proof in the form of a letter from said relatives as you will almost definitely be asked where you are staying.

Don't go on about wanting to go sightseeing - the concession is meant to be for transit purposes. The line you should take is "I have a 22 hour lay-over, I am a poor student, these relatives have kindly offered me a bed for the night so that I won't have to stay at a hotel".

5. Re: UK Visitor in Transit Visa - Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 22:05
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,677 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK Visitor in Transit Visa - Questions

if you are from the states, you dont need a visa!

7. Re: UK Visitor in Transit Visa - Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2016, 06:16