We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest unaccompanied minor

9 posts
Save Topic
Southwest unaccompanied minor

Hi there guys, another question for you all, I have a friend who has a son that is 12 years old and is travelling on Southwest. His parents don't want him to travel alone, and were looking for the unaccompanied minor service, but, according to Southwest, only ages 5-11 will be accepted as an unaccompanied minor. I wanted to know if 12 year olds can at least be given the service of an unaccompanied minor, not to fill all those forms and wear badges, but if an attendant or someone instead have them being assisted to go through security and whatever. If that is possible, is it charged at a rate, or would we just have to ask for help at the check in? Appreciate comments or answers!!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,644 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest unaccompanied minor

Have you asked Southwest?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest unaccompanied minor

You can easily find this information on Southwest's webpage, but I can tell you the airline will not provide this service without the parents paying the fee and completing the paperwork.

Usually, you can simply ask the agent at the check-in counter for a gate pass and the parent may take the child to the gate, and the person meeting them at the arrival airport may do the same, even w/o the child being an unaccompanied minor.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,071 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest unaccompanied minor

Did you ask Southwest? I had a quick look at the website, and it says children 5-11 MUST be booked as UAMs. It doesn't mention over 11. Most US airlines will still let you pay the fee and get the service for kids under 18, but I don't know about Southwest. Don't expect any extra help if you don't pay.

4. Re: Southwest unaccompanied minor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 07:16