We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vayama/ Taking 7-10 days to charge a credit card?

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
Vayama/ Taking 7-10 days to charge a credit card?

Hi,

I bought a ticket on kayak.com on May 10, not realizing that it was affiliated with vayama.com.

My ticket was confirmed the same day. Charges were pending on my credit card until yesterday, when all charges disappeared.

I called vayama.com, and they said it can take between 7-10 business days for airlines to charge your credit card and that this won't affect the status of my ticket. I have never heard this before. Is this true?

I've read a lot of horror stories about vayama since purchasing this ticket, so I'm just feeling a little nervous.

Thanks for any advice/insight.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vayama/ Taking 7-10 days to charge a credit card?

Kayak has nothing to do with this transaction.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vayama/ Taking 7-10 days to charge a credit card?

Firstly, kayak is a search engine like google but for travel. It simply compares travel prices. It is not linked to Vayama, you linked through and bought from Vayama.

Secondly, yes what you have been told is true. The first charge you saw is a holding charge, it's then released and the real charge goes through.

If you are nervous, you need to check your ticket on the airlines website. If you can see it there it should be fine. Keep checking it to ensure that it does not suffer a schedule change or cancellation, the odds of the agency telling you are low, airlines themselves are poor in communicating, so you need to be proactive.

If the ticket is live, the trouble tends to come when the customer wants to make a change or a schedule change occurs and the customer did not know or the alternates are not suitable.

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vayama/ Taking 7-10 days to charge a credit card?

So you think I should try calling the airline directly?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vayama/ Taking 7-10 days to charge a credit card?

Why do you want to call the airline? You did not buy from the airline, you bought from Vayama, they will charge you,

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vayama/ Taking 7-10 days to charge a credit card?

To clarify, you should have a booking reference, which when you log onto the airlines website, you can input and see your reservation, it's called a PNR, a passenger name record. If you don't have it, Vayama should provide it. When you can see your reservation on the airlines website, you know you have a ticket. You then need to check it regularly.

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vayama/ Taking 7-10 days to charge a credit card?

Well, the temporary charge on my credit card was listed as being from the airline, not from vayama.com. Also, as I said, the customer service rep from vayama.com said that the airline would charge me. So that's weird.

And yes, I didn't mention that I checked the airline website, and I can access my e-ticket there. However it is listed as being $15 more than my vayama confirmation email does which is a little weird. I've been obsessively checking my credit card account, vayama.com, and the airline website. So I should be able to catch any changes.

Thanks for your assistance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vayama/ Taking 7-10 days to charge a credit card?

Ah, ok, it could be the airline charge you and the agency simply charge you their fee for booking. Sorry., that's possible.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vayama/ Taking 7-10 days to charge a credit card?

Go on the airline's website and enter your record locator code, it is a 6-digit alpha-numeric code. If it shows up, you're OK and as froggy said, just don't try to make any changes.

edit: froggy beat me to it.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 21:00
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,542 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vayama/ Taking 7-10 days to charge a credit card?

"I called vayama.com, and they said it can take between 7-10 business days for airlines to charge your credit card and that this won't affect the status of my ticket. I have never heard this before. Is this true?"

Nothing unusual about that although it can be a case of them waiting to charge your card until ticket availability has been confirmed.

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vayama/ Taking 7-10 days to charge a credit card?

as I said, the ticket has already been confirmed. I have been issued an e-ticket.