We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scared of flying

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Scared of flying

The other day I was on my first flight since I was about 11 years old (I'm now 20) and didn't really know what the expect, their was turbulence which really freaked me out as I didn't know what was going on.

Then when we landed I think it was an aborted landing because we started to descend then we suddenly started going up for about 5 mins and then suddenly dropped a bit and went into landing.

I've got 2 questions.

1. Is Turbulence normal on flights and is it perfectly safe?

2. Does my landing sound like it was an aborted landing and does that happen regularly.

Thanks for helping me out as it would help me out a lot and out my mind to rest.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,890 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scared of flying

'Is Turbulence normal on flights ...' On a great many of them, yes. '... is it perfectly safe?' In the very great majority of cases, yes.

'Does my landing sound like it was an aborted landing and does that happen regularly.' Impossible to say whether it was an aborted landing without knowing where on final approach the change happened. Let us known the airline, flight number and date of travel and we may be able to ascertain a bit more information.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scared of flying

Turbulence is pretty standard to one extent or the other and yes, it's safe. Airplane crashes are very rare indeed and it's not turbulence that's normally the issue, I'm not sure it's ever been, logically I think you probably know this, it's not nice though, just try not to think about it,

Re your landing, I'm not sure, could simply have been you started descent then it went into a holding pattern for a few mins then descended again, I would not really be concerned about this, to give an example of a serious aborted landing one of my colleagues on descent, literally landed, wheels touched Tarmac and took off again immediately, because they were about to hit another plane,,,,all were safe:-))

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,495 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scared of flying

We had an aborted landing a few years back at Aberdeen, you wouldn't have mistaken it for anything else.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scared of flying

Hi Billy

Many of the major airlines run a 'fear of flying' course which may be of interest to you. As well as dealing with ways of coping and calming yourself, there is talk by a captain/pilot who talks about aeronautics in laymans's terms and the safety features of flying modern aircraft. The day course usually culminates in a short flight where the captain explains all the sounds you hear etc to normalise them for those with a fear.

My mother, who wouldn't have stepped on a short haul flight without Valium and a couple of brandy's before, took a course several years ago and has never looked back and has since been able and happy to fly long haul.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scared of flying

2. Does my landing sound like it was an aborted landing and does that happen regularly.

------

No, and no in that order. If you had an aborted landing the pilot would almost certainly have said something. Also, if you did have an aborted landing, that would be because it was safer than carrying on. So either way no need to be concerned.

And yes turbulence is perfectly normal. Airplanes are designed to handle it. It would be strange if they weren't.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scared of flying

I genuinely believe, and I could be wrong, the trick is not to think about it. Just think it's normal. I'm not scared of flying, but i told the tale before of how I sat next to a terrified flyer on a turbulent flight once, and it was bad enough that it impacted me for a few flights afterwards. I could feel myself getting scared, until I reminded myself not to think about it. I still do it in very bad turbulence. I have ro remind myself not to think about it.

Although I was calm and able to placate the person at the time, their fear actually really got to me afterwards. It had an impact. And the impact was I was suddenly thinking about it, I was thinking about what that person had said. I'd never thought about it before.mWhen I thought about something else, I was ok. So my advice would be make sure your mind is otherwise occupied on board, and if these thoughts enter it, you start to think about what could happen, push they away and think about something else. Don't over analyse it. You flew a flight that had turbulence, landing was weird, but there was no issues. Move on. It was perfectly safe.

You basically train your mind not to think about it in the first place, and as said, I think that's the trick to not being scared.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scared of flying

I've got 2 questions.

1. Is Turbulence normal on flights and is it perfectly safe?

===================================================================

Hi Billy

To try and answer your questions......turbulence in flight is not uncommon. For my sins I am something of a weather geek so I pay attention to the atmosphere and weather conditions. Those conditions can vary greatly at different altitudes. That's one of the reasons you may experience turbulence at any point during a flight.

Aircraft are built and tested to withstand severe conditions. Pilots have the best navigational aids to try and avoid severe weather conditions. A rare phenomenom is clear air turbulence, but again the aircraft can safely pass through that albeit it there may be a bit of discomfort for a while.

It's difficult to say if your landing was aborted, but even if it was it's something pilots are trained and practised to do, and really nothing to worry about.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scared of flying

If your "fear" of flying is really serious, why not talk with a shrink about it? Or attend fear of flying classes as previously suggested? You don't need to worry or be concerned about what already happened to you, just what might happen in the future. Chuck.

Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Scared of flying

Hi,

From the description of your landing, I'd say it was because of wind shear. I've experienced it twice before, it is a bit scary.

10. Re: Scared of flying

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 10:56