We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Lyon-Timisoara with a 50-minute connection in Munich

of many places
Level Contributor
44 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Lyon-Timisoara with a 50-minute connection in Munich

I have to book flights for a group of musicians who need to be in Romania (Garana) the same day they fly from Lyon to Timisoara to perform at a music festival.

I have to choose between 2 flight options, both on Lufthansa and connecting in Munich: the first one has a 50 minute layover and arrives in Timisoara at 1:30pm and the second one has a 4.5 hour layover and arrives at 5:10pm. The place of the festival is a 2-hour drive and the concert is that same night so arriving earlier would be preferable.

However, I am concerned about the short connection time of 50 minutes, especially since Romania (I believe) is non-Schengen and most we would most likely have to go through passport control and security in Munich. If the first flight from Lyon to Munich is delayed by 30 minutes, there is a good chance that we would miss the connection.

I realize that Lufthansa will most likely put us on the next flight if we miss the connection due to a delay, but the aircraft (which is the same for both fight options) only has about 40 seats and we are a group of 7. If there aren't enough seats left, not all of us may be rebooked on the next flight out.

The second option (with a 4.5 layover) may seem better considering these issues but if the connecting flight gets canceled for some reason, there is no other flight that day that would get us into Timisoara in time for the concert.

Has anyone made a 50-minute connection in Munich where the connecting flight is to a non-Schengen country? Was it time-consuming? Was there passport control + security line or just the passport control? I am also concerned because we will be traveling in July - probably peak travel season for Munich.

Thank you in advance!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,176 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Lyon-Timisoara with a 50-minute connection in Munich

I think you've answered your own question really! As you've said yourself, if there is even the slightest chance of missing the connecting flight through delays etc then yes you would be put on the next available flight. That might not even be that same night if there aren't enough available seats on the plane. I personally would go for the later flight but that's just my opinion.

UK
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Lyon-Timisoara with a 50-minute connection in Munich

But.... if the later flight gets delayed then they will miss their concert!

I would travel a day earlier, or travel to MUC the evening before and stay overnight (you can do this on one ticket as long as the lay-over isn't more than 24 hours)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,176 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Lyon-Timisoara with a 50-minute connection in Munich

Brilliant idea Aviatrix, problem solved!

4. Re: Flying Lyon-Timisoara with a 50-minute connection in Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 06:17