We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Coast flight to Honolulu

Virginia
Level Contributor
64 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
East Coast flight to Honolulu

I am in the very early stages of planning a trip from the East Coast to Honolulu in June 2015 (yes, I realize it's early but, I'm so excited and I want plenty of time to watch airfares to get the best deal). We will be flying out of the DC area. Will be traveling with my 18 year son as his graduation gift. I know it's a personal decision but, I would appreciate any pros and cons to my question. Direct flight or stop on the West Coast? It seems any flight with a stop on the West Coast has an overnight layover. It got me thinking...is it worth the extra cost to book separate flights and spend a night or two on the West Coast to adjust to the time difference/explore LA or SFO area before flying on to Hawaii? Any other suggestions regarding DC to Honolulu flights? Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Coast flight to Honolulu

I personally would book the nonstop. The only one I see, looking at this June, which admittedly may have nothing to do with what's available next June, is on UA. It's a long flight, but I'd rather get the trip over with. The nonstop leaves at a decent time, and you'll be in Hawaii in early afternoon.

I don't know where you are seeing lots of flights with overnight stop. There are many UA flights that route through SFO and LAX with a two hour or less connection time.

If you want to stop, choose "multi-city" and look at IAD-SFO-HNL (for example). Just make the date you leave SFO-HNL one day later than you arrive, and you can see if the pricing changes.

Just be aware there are no free meals on this flight in economy.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 02:09
2. Re: East Coast flight to Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 11:03
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,235 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Coast flight to Honolulu

Do the non-stop. Simply no reason to run the risk of something going wrong on the connection. As noted, most connecting flights through west coast will be 1-2 hour connections and few would leave you overnight.

Have fun.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Coast flight to Honolulu

Siince your body clock only acclimates at one hour per day, a days stay would make no appreciable difference to how you felt when you landed in Honolulu and the extra hassle of an extra flight and all the airport routine will probably leave you more tired anyway. The only reason to overnight for a couple of days would be if there was something you really wanted to see on the way. But just for jet lag? No.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 06:46
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Coast flight to Honolulu

Another one for direct, just get on the plane and go.

Unless there is something you really want to do on the west coast, just go straight to Hawaii and have a great time. All that unpacking, checking in, packing, checking out, transferring to and from the airport, catching another flight malarkey would only be worth it if you really wanted to see something and do a two stop holiday.

If you really want to go to Hawaii, then just go to hawai....

Virginia
Level Contributor
64 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Coast flight to Honolulu

Thanks so much for the "direct" advice. : ) I do love the west coast but will save that for another trip. I must have been looking at the flight times wrong regarding the overnight layovers when I did my research. Thanks again for the prompt responses.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
624 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Coast flight to Honolulu

Hi,

I am another who would agree that you should fly direct without a stopover. I have flown many times from UK to Honolulu without a stopover. Granted that I fly from London to SFO which is a long flight and then connect with my flight to Honolulu. Always great to arrive in Hawaii the same day that I depart home.

Enjoy planning your trip.

John.

8. Re: East Coast flight to Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16