We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport expires under 6 months - travel Monday!

Whyteleafe, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Passport expires under 6 months - travel Monday!

Hi,

My passport expires in under 6 months, and I am due to fly to Cape Verde on Monday (it will have 5 months left of last day of holiday).

I cannot use the premium service to renew as they said it is slightly damaged and therefore premium service is not an option.

The only option I have is to risk it so I wanted to know if anyone else has travelled successfully with this?

My visa has been granted successfully and I have checked in online - all of which asked for my passport details and expiry.

Thanks!

BK

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport expires under 6 months - travel Monday!

If your passport is too damaged to use the premium service, is it not also too damaged to use?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport expires under 6 months - travel Monday!

There is no such thing as risking it, you shall be turned away at the airport, because you will not be granted entry to the country. It's cut and dried.

You need six months left from the date of entry. If you don't have it. You don't have the right entry docs and you won't be allowed in, even if the airline made a mistake and let you board, ( something they would be heavily fined for) you would be put on the next flight back without entry.

You need a same day renewal service and you need an emergency appt to go to the passport office either tomorrow or Friday.

Whyteleafe, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport expires under 6 months - travel Monday!

They won't do same day service, all they can offer is 1 week fast track which will be too late. I've already been to the passport office.

They were the ones who told me to risk it. They said that if you count the months, it is effectively 6 months (expires in November) but date to date it is nearer 5.

I understood the issue was you wouldn't get a visa on a passport with under 6 months, but this has been granted.

Thanks for your help though.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport expires under 6 months - travel Monday!

Let us know how this ends...... hopefully, it all works out for you.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport expires under 6 months - travel Monday!

If you've got a visa they may glance at that and not check anything else. I agree as you have paid I don't see what else you can do but chance it.

I would hand it over showing the visa page. But really the airlines systems are most likely to pick this up even before you even board so I wouldn't book long term parking,

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport expires under 6 months - travel Monday!

They might not spot it, and if you can't do same day, you have no option but to turn up, it's really a moot question, other than not turn up, you don't really have any choice.

Let us know how you get on, the entry requirements clearly state visa and a passport with at least six months. I'm not sure what you mean by date to date or count the months, it's either six months or it's not, but I hope it works for you too and let us know what happens, as I am sure others will have done the same thing, it also looks like you might just be a couple of weeks off, but I'd have thought the airlines would pick this up also, because of the fines they face if you are denied entry at the other side.

Whyteleafe, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport expires under 6 months - travel Monday!

Thanks all. Yes, have to just risk it.

I agree with all you are saying, and it's my own fault but just going to have to try.

My friend used to own Excel airlines so I am dropping him a call to see if he has any tips lol! I should laugh really, I am far from happy and imagining sleeping in an open aired airport for 3 nights until they can ship is home! :(

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,086 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport expires under 6 months - travel Monday!

Is this an emergency trip that you hadn't planned for, or did you just not know when your passport was due to expire ?

Whyteleafe, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport expires under 6 months - travel Monday!

No this was my fault. I thought it was December not November.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport expires under 6 months - travel Monday!

Don't beat yourself up, we all do things like this at some point , it sounds like it's a couple of weeks out, if the airline agree to transport you there is a chance the guys at Cape Verde will show leniency if they spot it. Honestly none of us know.

I've been to Cape Verde, it's not like entering the states, and tourism is relatively young, you can walk,literally from the airport to the hotel, if you so chose lol. I think personally the key risk point is whether the airline lets you fly in or not. Try not to look nervous at the desk and don't point it out,,whatever you do:-))