We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Long Haul (wanting everything to go smoothly)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
923 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Long Haul (wanting everything to go smoothly)

Hello all,

Me and my wife are wanting to visit our daughter who works in Auckland and my son who works in Sydney (Australia) having never done long haul I am in need of your expertise.

We are wanting the most direct route (not fussed about staying any length of time in say Dubai or Hong Kong for example) and though we are on a budget, we don't mind spending a bit more if it's value for money. We are looking at travelling out at the end of September 2014 returning 2 or so weeks later, this has some degree of flexibility.

Being 6ft 3in tall I would appreciate a little comfort within the aircraft but my budget will not stretch to the business class seats. We will start the journey via London Heathrow.

Having never flown long haul, we are wanting to enjoy the experience, clearly travelling such a distance has it's problems, jet lag being one of them.

I would appreciate any comments from any experienced members on route suggestions and airline suggestions etc (at the moment Air New Zealand premier economy appeals to us)

Likewise any tips would be most welcome, things to avoid and suggestions that will make the experience more pleasurable would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
923 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First Time Long Haul (wanting everything to go smoothly)

Seriously, thank you for the suggestions, I will look into it in more detail over the next day or so, any other ideas or suggestions, warnings or things to avoid are most welcome.

Thank you for your input.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Time Long Haul (wanting everything to go smoothly)

warnings or things to avoid are most welcome.

===========

Nearly all third parties. the only reason I mention / support Trailfinders is they have a long successful history, I have seen very few issues reported with them, and you might be making a slightly complex trip so they will be of help in that respect.

southern england
Level Contributor
252 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First Time Long Haul (wanting everything to go smoothly)

We are looking into premium economy for our next trip to Australia.At present cathay pacific are coming in around £3900 for 2 return tickets to Sydney, but they are having a sale , so you may get them cheaper.Going via Hongkong is quite direct , and fly onto Sydney, then to a side trip to Aukland, returning to Sydney,and fly home from there.I think if you fly with Air newzealand , they go via the usa , which adds lots more hours onto the journey.

I would suggest avoiding 3rd party sites and book direct with the airlines.

Have a good trip.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,635 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First Time Long Haul (wanting everything to go smoothly)

Another vote for Air New Zealand. I hate their prices but love their service.

UK
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: First Time Long Haul (wanting everything to go smoothly)

Melatonin will deal with jetlag. One 3 mg tablet just before bed for a couple of nights after arriving at destination will do the trick. I have been using it successfully for years and it never fails for me.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First Time Long Haul (wanting everything to go smoothly)

>>As far as jet lag goes, it is always worse when travelling from east to west than it is when travelling from west to east.<<

Not always - unfortunately it works the other way around for me! It seems to take a week for me to get over jet lag coming home to Australia, whereas I'm bouncing around happily within a day of arriving in Europe... But perhaps that's just the joy of being on holiday, versus the "I'm home and back to everyday life in the real world" aspect kicking in on my return.

I usually travel in economy and find that flying via Asia is easier to cope with than the long haul via the Middle East, eg Dubai - the slightly shorter/more evenly spaced hops make the journey less of an ordeal. Possibly not an issue in Premium Economy though, which I have heard is much more comfortable!

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First Time Long Haul (wanting everything to go smoothly)

Perhaps it's the attitude halwimsey ... when I arrive back in Australia after a holiday my attitude is always 'ah, it's good to be home', and it always is. I love visiting foreign countries, but nothing beats coming back home. Although the way Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey are ruining things here that attitude might change ... :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: First Time Long Haul (wanting everything to go smoothly)

Have you considered going to Sydney first? There is a lot more options on that route than to Auckland.

You can then easily get flights from SYD - AKL for less than $200 each way (Qantas, Air NZ, Virgin, Emirates etc)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
923 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: First Time Long Haul (wanting everything to go smoothly)

Having discussed our plans with my daughter, she has said going in September/ Early October is not such a good idea as NZ is just coming out of there winter. It has been suggested Late Jan/ early Feb 2015 would be better, thus giving us more time to save more money, and more importantly, as this is more in their hotter months, we would be able to see the sights of NZ at their best.

So already a slight change of plan but the object of this thread is to do as much as possible to ensure everything works out and clearly the seasons are important.

Again, thank you for your ongoing input.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: First Time Long Haul (wanting everything to go smoothly)

Late Jan / Feb can be hot here, so more enjoyable for sightseeing.

Take teh advice given and contact Trailfinders for options.