We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to expect

Nottingham
Level Contributor
921 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
What to expect

Can you knowledgable people give me an idea what we can expect if doing long haul (first time) and going from London to Auckland via USA.

I've read a number of scare stories and people on forums have suggested I try to avoid USA enroute.

I'm referring to the experience whilst transiting the USA, I take it we would have to get off the aircraft (to refuel or change aircraft I presume) but what can we expect from landing to taking off again a few hours later (not planning on stopping in USA)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to expect

You will go through immigration, so you need ESTA. You also need to go through customs.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to expect

Get your ESTA before you book your flight.

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
561 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to expect

It depends a great deal on where you are transiting, as well as the time of day, day of the week, etc. Usually the negative experiences get more 'publicity' than the positive ones. ;) You will do some version of: get off the plane, go through passport control, pick up your bags, go through customs, give your bags back, go through security, find the gate of your next flight, hang out, people watch, get a bite to eat, buy a souvenir, board your next flight. The key questions are How much time do you have between flights at your first stop in the USA? What airport? Do you have your paperwork in order?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,105 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to expect

As people on here have mentioned there is no such thing as being "in transit" in the USA.

IF your plane touches down here you need your ESTA in place before you arrive and you are treated as if you were getting off and spending time here in the USA so you go through immigration/customs etc. You'll need to make sure you have about 3hrs. between flights especially if you change terminals.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,802 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to expect

Avoid the US if possible. It will just make your journey so much less hassle. So many other options like: LHR to Sydney, SYD to AKL.

LHR to Vancouver, YVR to AKL - all on Air NZ.

Use the following websites to check what's available, but book directly with the airlines.

www.skyscanner.net

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

London
Level Contributor
8,118 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to expect

I assume you travelling with Air New Zealand, Notts, if travelling to Auckland via USA. If so it will be via Los Angeles. ANZ have a dedicated transit lounge so it will be a lot easier and less hassle than other airlines. Don't worry it will be fine.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,013 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to expect

I travelled to NZ via LAX with Air New Zealand. I would not do it again. There was a huge queue at immigration, and it took almost two hours before I could get to sit down again. After doing this both ways I vowed to either have a stopover next time, or fly a different route.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 17:29
Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to expect

How much cheaper/quicker is it to go via USA? The ESTA is $14 each person make sure you use the correct government site, there are ones that will charge you more than that.

Make sure you get the ESTA before you book your flight, if it's refused you will gave to get a visa, loads of hassle and dosh.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to expect

I would fly via Singapore or Hong Kong with either BA/Cathay or Singapore Airlines with just one stop en route.

Both airports are superb for connections and avoid all the hassle of LA.

10. Re: What to expect

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 06:15