We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using 1 single and 1 return ticket

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Using 1 single and 1 return ticket

Hope I explain this OK - next year me & my better half are travelling to US for 10 days for silver wedding before our son joins us for another 10 days. Looking at best prices for directs to cross the pond we're thinking of flying IcelandAir via Reykjavic from LHR to Boston out and return via JFK.

Son is flying alone and has never flown before, so not keen for his outward leg to be via Icelandair as he will have to transfer in reykjavic and being a dreamer would probably miss his flight!

However to buy a single direct to Denver(BA) where we will be when he arrives (staying with relatives) and then a single back with us on IcelandAir is extortionate.

My question is, having looked at prices, it is far cheaper to buy him a return direct to denver and then a single back with us. What would the implications be if he didn't use the return portion of his BA ticket, provided i booked it for a few days after we actually travel back? - I'm assuming that immigration would take a dim view of him travelling into the states on a single ticket, especially when he's staying with relatives?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,168 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using 1 single and 1 return ticket

" What would the implications be if he didn't use the return portion of his BA ticket"

None. People miss flights all the time, and with a non-refundable ticket there is very little point in contacting the airline. They will assume that you are claiming on your insurance and have bought another ticket. There is a theoretical chance that they could come back to you for the difference in fare but it is highly unlikely. It is up to your conscience whether you think this is the right thing to do. As I say, it does violate the T&Cs to do it deliberately, and that is a legal contract.

Honestly though, as you will see, transfer at Rekjavik is so straightforward that it would be very difficult for your son to miss his onward flight. If he really is such a daydreamer I would worry about him missing the BA flight or the flight from London to Rekjavik. If he can manage to board one flight he should be able to cope with a second.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 10:51
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using 1 single and 1 return ticket

Why cant you just buy him a return to Denver? Why does he need to travel back with you?

He would arrive back in the UK at Heathrow where presumably he will be able to manage? Or arrange for his return to come back a day after you get back so you can collect him, if hes not capable of getting on the Railair bus or being collected by taxi??

Edited: 28 May 2014, 11:05
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,287 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using 1 single and 1 return ticket

I would worry about him remembering to leave the house to go to the airport in the first place if he is that bad. Not been there but Keflavic airport is fairly small (think smallish UK regional airport) and by all accounts you would need to be a moron to miss a connecting flight so just buy him a ticket via there.

I think even buying a BA round trip to Denver would cost you about £400 to £500 more than the Icelandair option.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using 1 single and 1 return ticket

You can miss the last leg of a return flight sure. He will need evidence of onward travel. I can't see the big deal, he will have both the return and the single right?

As for his inability to catch a plane, is he a minor or is he over 18 and an adult male? Has he never flown anywhere before ie this is his very first flight?

I think if he is a minor, depending on how minor, and this is his very first flight, I understand your concern. You will know best if he can handle the responsibility,

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,168 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using 1 single and 1 return ticket

"You will know best if he can handle the responsibility,"

True, but I am struggling to see how he could not handle the responsibility of a very straightforward transfer at a very small airport with staff there to guide him if he can handle the responsibility of getting up on time, getting to the airport on time, getting checked in and through security and getting to the correct gate in time to catch his flight from London. If he is likely to be so distracted at a small airport like Rekjavik, it does not bode well for how he will do at a giant and confusing place like Heathrow with its myriad distractions.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
709 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using 1 single and 1 return ticket

KEF is a very small airport, not big queues and easy to navigate-only problem which I remember was that to get to some of the gates you have to go through a big gift shop, which is a bit weird, but eventually you'll find the way out. If he gets stuck, just ask the many people on duty with nothing to do-there are many staff in relation to the number of passengers- where to go.

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using 1 single and 1 return ticket

Please tell me your son is a teenager and not in his 20s or 30s, otherwise this is the least of your problems

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using 1 single and 1 return ticket

Thanks for the replies - he will be 15. His big sis can get him to heathrow on the bus and see him through as far as security. Coming back we wanted to spend a couple of nts in Chicago, hence the open jaw ticket. I'm not good at sitting so not keen on a 9 hour direct flt so looking at flts from east coast back across, but icelandair don't fly direct from chicago, so we'd either have to fly southwest into Newark (or overnight in NY which bumps up the cost) or look at getting flts from chicago with a different carrier - thanks for answering my rambling question :)

9. Re: Using 1 single and 1 return ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 06:16