We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airasia, \malaysia

Mississauga, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
airasia, \malaysia

I had planned on visiting Thailand on the 2 nd June and had booked my flight on AirAsia from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok. However, with the martial law/military coup in Thailand, we have been advised not to travel to Thailand for non essential trips by both the Malaysian Government and my Government (Canadian). we tried to cancel our flight two weeks ago by writing to Air Asia and also visiting airasia office in Malaysia as we are here already and had been very unsuccessful. AirAsia refused to cancel our flight or refund our money. Does anyone know what other steps i can take to cancel and get a refund for the kuala lumpur flight to bangkok on airasia.

thanks

eng

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airasia, \malaysia

Was the travel restriction in place when you visited? I would just call them, they should refund.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airasia, \malaysia

If Air Asia won't refund you, do know that if you don't show up for your flight, you can get a refund of the taxes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airasia, \malaysia

Hmm, hold on, where are you seeing the Canadian government advising against all but essential travel? I just looked at the Canadian government website, there is no travel advisory against Thailand as a whole or Bangkok from the Canadian government, it appears to only have travel advisory against the southern provinces and the Thai Cambodian border?

If there is no travel advisory against Thailand nationwide or Bangkok specifically by the Canadian government you cannot get a refund, they are simply advising caution at the moment, so any decision not to go is yours and not the governments and as such cancellation is then a personal choice.

Some governments have warned of all but essential travel and then refunds are due, but the Canadian government seems not to be one of them?

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airasia, \malaysia

No government bodies(or I should say, no sensible gov't bodies) have advised to cancel non-essential travel, and there is nothing to suggest that it will be necessary.

In any case, Air Asia are not going to refund you (at best you will get a credit shell -or just taxes back)/

What does your travel insurance company say?

Edited: 30 May 2014, 14:30
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airasia, \malaysia

I don't think travel insurance will pay out if there is no travel advisory in place. I'm just unsure why the op thinks there is or where he saw it?

If no travel advisory it's simply a personal choice not to go and not many policies cover that.

Mississauga, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: airasia, \malaysia

Thanks for your reply. My travel is on 2nd Jun and they will not cancel nor refund nor give a credit for future travel. Will never recommend anyone booking this airline as they have not been helpful at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airasia, \malaysia

Why would you expect them to give you a refund if your government does not advise against travel? They will apply the terms of the contract you agreed to, just as every other airline would.

I understand why you don't want to go, but you must understand that's a personal choice and you will need to pay for that choice, right?

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airasia, \malaysia

I do understand your concerns eric, however airlines do not and should not be forced to cover your costs because you changed your mind.. Air Asia are 100% correct here, and by them sticking by their policy they are ensuring cheap fares for the rest of us that understand and do the right thing

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,839 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: airasia, \malaysia

Thailand is perfectly safe to travel to.

If you have bought non-refundable tickets, then of course you're not going to get a refund if you change your mind & decide not to travel.

Perhaps the OP should read the terms & conditions of the ticket they bought, before making silly statements & accusations,

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: airasia, \malaysia

I also have the same problem. I want to cancel my flight to Malasia and get refund at least for airport tax. I sent email two times and filled in the refund form in airasia website. My flight is on 25 March 2015 and for last week i didn;t get answer. I think it's not professional to ignore clients. At least they had to answer and notified me about refund, cancelation flight or smth else. I know that airasia is cheapest airlines but still it'is not correct to ignore.