We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are transit visas required

Johannesburg, South...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Are transit visas required

just booked a ticket through trip advisor, flying from Johannesburg to Vancouver via London on United Airlines. Is a transit visa required for London and are my bags checked right through to Vancouver?

Coming back I travel via Munich. The airline to Munich is Air Canada operated by Lufthansa and then there is a change in airlines to SAA from Munich to Johannesburg.

Will I need to collect my bags in Munich and check them in again for my onward flight and if so will I need to go through customs and then need a transit visa for Munich?

Desperate to get this information as I cannot find the correct info

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are transit visas required

I'm not 100% sure on the visa situation but you can check at https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

If your flight from JNB-LHR-YVR is all on the one ticket and likewise for YVR-MUC-JNB your bags will be checked through and you won't need to pick them up at LHR or MUC.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 19:55
Johannesburg, South...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Are transit visas required

Thanks for the reply. Is this even if there is a change in arilines?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are transit visas required

I think it also applies to change of airlines but I noticed that the airlines you mentioned, United, Air Canada, Lufthansa and SAA are all members of Star Alliance so they will have integrated ticketing anyway.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are transit visas required

United Airlines don't fly from Johannesburg to London at all, or from London to Vancouver directly.

I think there may be another airline, probably SAA, providing the Johannesburg-London part of the journey (though at a pinch it might be BA or Virgin Atlantic). If the London-Vancouver is non-stop it is probably Air Canada (though again just possibly BA or Virgin Atlantic). Alternatively it might genuinely be United, but in that case there will be a change of plane somewhere in the USA.

It's important for the OP to know who is really operating the flights as this affects both the checking through of baggage and whether they need to change terminal in London (a date is helpful here as a whole series of terminal moves on different dates kicks off next week when United move into the new Terminal 2)

Trip Advisor don't sell tickets, they do provide a search facility and if you want to buy tickets you click through onto one of several on-line travel agencies (or occasionally a real airline). It's also important to know who has actually sold the OP the tickets, which must be on the confirmation emails.

Johannesburg, South...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Are transit visas required

So the ticket was thru ebookers.com

Flights are United Airlines operated by SAA from Jhb to London into terminal 1. Connecting flight United operated by air Canada in terminal 2. Coming back Vancouver to Munich on lufthansa into terminal M. Connecting flight on SAA at terminsl M thru to Johannesburg.

appreciate all the help!

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are transit visas required

Thanks. I see no reason why SAA (who you'll check in with at Johannesburg) won't check your bags through to Vancouver.

When you arrive at London Heathrow, follow the purple "Flight Connections" signs and you will come to the transfer area. There you'll have your boarding pass checked (if SAA gave you the one for the Air Canada flight, which they probably will) or one issued, if they didn't, and you'll go through security, but not Immigration or Customs, which you bypass this way. Because Terminal 2 isn't open yet it isn't clear whether you will transfer to T2 using a special shuttle bus or simply walk there through corridors inside the secure zone.

The "United" and "Lufthansa" parts of your booking simply mean that ebookers have used seats from those airlines allocation on their Star Alliance partners services. When you're actually travelling it is just SAA and Air Canada that you need to talk to/check in with/look out for signs to.

Johannesburg, South...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Are transit visas required

Thanks so much Andy! So you don't think I will need transit visas for London or Munich?

UK
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are transit visas required

This is your authoriative source for visa information:

staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

You are remaining airside at both airports, and for most nationals visas are not required for airside transits in either country.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are transit visas required

All depends on your nationality. South Africans do require transit visas for the UK, unless they already have a Canadian or US visa, which the OP almost certainly has. Then they are eligible for transit without visa (TWOV).

Johannesburg, South...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Are transit visas required

Ok we seem to be all good then. We have the Canadian visa. I also believe South Africans don't need a transit visa if going thru the Shengang states. Hope that's true too!