We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Air Berlin really strict with carry on baggage?

Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is Air Berlin really strict with carry on baggage?

I'm not worried really about the weight but mostly about the dimensions. I'm trying to avoid checking in a bag because I'm afraid it's gonna go lost since I'm making a connection. The allowed dimensions are 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (21.6" x 15.7" x 7.8"). However, my baggage that I want to take is 53cm x 36cm x 22 cm. Will that extra 2 cm in depth really make a difference when I bring it on board?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Air Berlin really strict with carry on baggage?

Count on all airlines being strict on cabin baggage.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
818 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Air Berlin really strict with carry on baggage?

This question is asked constantly on this forum of various airlines, and if twenty people tell you the airline lets oversize bags aboard ALLLLLL the time, it won't make a bit of difference if they decide to enforce their written cabin size allowance on the day you fly.

All you can do is assume they will and be prepared to gate check the bag if they do. (IE have a smaller bag inside with the things you absolutely can't let out of your posession like medications or electronics that you can remove if they gate-check your carry-on.)

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,346 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Air Berlin really strict with carry on baggage?

The odds of bags actually being lost due to a connection are fairly small. The number of actual lost bags (as opposed to delayed) as a ratio of the number of bags transport is really, really small.

Overhead bins cannot deal with one full-sized bag per passenger in Economy - even if the airline is lax in checking, there is no guarantee that you will find space to fit your bag, then they will take it and put it in the hold anyway, and you will have no carry-on and will still have to wait for your bag at the luggage carousel at your destination.

If you have a free checked bag, I would use that, and carry your travel essentials in a much smaller carry-on. Far less hassle to travel.

There are official statistics that talk about "lost, damaged, delayed or pilfered baggage" and as an industry average you are looking at about 3.5 reports per 1,000 passengers. I would suggest that those are not bad odds. (Source: …dot.gov/reports/…2012SeptATCR.PDF )

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Air Berlin really strict with carry on baggage?

#3: "as an industry average you are looking at about 3.5 reports per 1,000 passengers"

I suppose that if you don't count the lost, damaged,or delayed reports, the average stays low. duh. What's the saying? 99% of all statistics are made up? If your connection is complicated or tight, the chances will skyrocket.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 16:04
Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Air Berlin really strict with carry on baggage?

'as an industry average you are looking at about 3.5 reports per 1,000 passengers'

In a lot of industries you'd be fired with such a score. Imagine such a score for brakes of a car ?

For someone flying about each week, that is 100 take offs per year, it means he loses his bag every 3 years. Lovely. If I take it with me on board probablity is 0. And no delay - what are the stats of delaying ? Meaning losing + delaying = chaotic trip.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 16:19
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,346 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Air Berlin really strict with carry on baggage?

No, the 3.5 was the total of lost, delayed, damaged and pilfered bags. I have had bags delayed on several flights, but got them the next day. There is no breakdown available of the proportions of those four categories - for all we know, a large portion of those could be delayed, and not lost. All you can say with confidence is that the occurrences of lost bags are less than 3.5 per 1,000.

The brake analogy is problematic, because of the radical difference in severity of the incident.

@DarthAnonymous: "If your connection is complicated or tight, the chances will skyrocket."

Do you have any data to back that up, please? Or is that just a "gut feeling"? Obviously the odds are going to be higher, but just by how much? I couldn't find any concrete data to get a feel for it, and would love a reference for your statement. If a connection is tight, I would suggest that the odds for a bag being delayed go up, but I would like to see some evidence that bag losses go up.

The concern that the OP voiced was very specifically about "lost" bags, and I am trying to put that into perspective with real numbers, rather than anecdotes.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,346 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Air Berlin really strict with carry on baggage?

Oh, and " If I take it with me on board probablity is 0."

Actually, no.

If you have a bag which doesn't conform to the correct dimensions, or won't fit in that overhead or under the seat, or you are later to board and the overheads are full, then you will be forced to check it, making the risk the same as if you had checked it in the first place. So while it may be less, the probability won't be "0".

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Air Berlin really strict with carry on baggage?

Hi

Liked your answer.

Let me dream with my 0 probability - never have had my bag snatched from me up to now - but yes, I do travel very light (horrifies my wife when she sees what clothes I take for a 3 days trip).

best regards.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Air Berlin really strict with carry on baggage?

If I take it with me on board probablity is 0

======

No its not. If its taken at the gate, I'd say judging by posts on here, that the probability of it going missing is higher than a "normal" bag.

So you need to multiply the probability they will take it, times a higher than 3.5 in 1,000 chance, which whatever the numbers, comes out to a non zero probability. People have also stolen them, and forgotten them.

Only two things in life have a zero probability of not happening, see Mr Franklin for details.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Air Berlin really strict with carry on baggage?

If all else fails or if in doubt, just follow the rules and you will be fine.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 17:21