We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are you "on your own" if missing connecting flight and...

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Are you "on your own" if missing connecting flight and...

Are you "on your own" (in big trouble) if you missed the connecting flight and the scheduled connecting time was not long enough?

Some ten years ago I heard that, if you have connecting flights (not nonstop), you need to reserved at least

1 hour connecting time for domestic flights, and

2 hour connecting time for international flights.

Otherwise, if you missed the connecting flight for any reasons, you are in a lot of trouble (hefty penalty and not being able to find flights to reach the destination in time or not reach there at all), and airlines are not obligated to help you??

This is scary especially for some international destinations where there are only few flights available, that means if you missed a flight, the next available flight is 24 hours or 48 hours later (assuming if there is vacant seat).

Is the rule mentioned above still true nowadays? So what happens if you missed the plane and you did not reserve 1 hour connecting time for domestic flights, and 2 hour connecting time for international flights? Are you facing hefty penalty and/or not reaching your destination at all?

(I have seen many itineraries offered by travel agencies with less than 60 minutes connecting time for international flights, and wonder why these kinds of flights are so "popular"?)

175 replies to this topic
Burbank, California
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Are you "on your own" if missing connecting flight and...

"yes book yourself. I've found even calling the airlines you need to have the website up in front of you so you can tell them what flight... same applies to travel agents"

Sorry, I neglected to mention that the travel agency was appointed by my wife's company, we cannot just ignore them. Fortunately I was able to find a 'better' itinerary that's about $1000 cheaper, instead of $2000 more expensive, simply by allowing airports that are within 30 miles distance to be included. Those travel agents' knowledge and experience are a lot not as great as most posters in this thread! Great thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,843 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Are you "on your own" if missing connecting flight and...

Alexander L--it's amazing how little concern your wife's company's travel agency has for cost or convenience. They remind me of a firm I had to rely on with a previous job...they were just terrible, lazy and far more interested in padding the bill (to earn higher commission in those days) than anything else.

As a side-note, a coworker of mine co-owns a travel agency. They run regular job fairs looking for new agents, so basically they are hired right off the streets. Experience not required. Some of them I wonder if they have every taken a flight other than to a standard place like Cancun or Vegas.

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Are you "on your own" if missing connecting flight and...

Maple - Thanks for sharing your amazing experiences with travel agencies. I guess both of us can do better jobs than those agents...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Are you "on your own" if missing connecting flight and...

What about if you missed a connection, rebooked, and then for any reason missed the second connection? In January I had a KWI-FRA-LHR-YOW flight. The FRA-LHR ended up stranded on the apron in FRA due to foggy conditions in London, so I was rebooked for KLM the next morning after missing the connection on LHR-AMS-YYZ-YOW (I know...crazy), and was given a hotel room in London. What would have happened if I had, say, slept in and accidentally missed the KLM flights? Would they have rebooked me or asked me to book myself in?

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Are you "on your own" if missing connecting flight and...

You would be deemed a no show and would have to purchase further tickets for all your itinerary.

Weather related delays are not your fault so the airline will cover you. Oversleeping is your fault so you are on your own.

26. Re: Are you "on your own" if missing connecting flight and...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:05

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Are you "on your own" if missing connecting flight and...

Its seems you are very much on your own if the flights are on separate airlines and tickets/bookings. I just flew into Lima on a Peruvian airlines flight that was delayed by bad weather, missing a KLM connection to Amsterdam. KLM customer 'care' simply said I had to pay another $ 1,800.00 for a new ticket - which seems so unhelpful. We all know that if planes are delayed or diverted, we simply put up with it - in this case it's great business for the airline. I have had other experiences, with BA and Avianca, where they booked me on the next available flight for free. What a shame, I was starting to like KLM and had flown with them 6 times in the last year, spending close to $ 8,000.00.............

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Are you "on your own" if missing connecting flight and...

I just flew into Lima on a Peruvian airlines flight that was delayed by bad weather, missing a KLM connection to Amsterdam. KLM customer 'care' simply said I had to pay another $ 1,800.00 for a new ticket - which seems so unhelpful

====

Right, because they should have given you for free what you didn't wish to pay for, no doubt choosing separate flight because it was cheaper???

<< have had other experiences, with BA and Avianca, where they booked me on the next available flight for free.>>

You'll find that happening less and less mostly because of people like you trying to game the system and get the benefits of a connecting flight without paying for it.

UK
Level Contributor
7,280 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Are you "on your own" if missing connecting flight and...

How much time did you allow between your separate flights on separate bookings - and did you have the sense to take out travel insurance that includes missed flights?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,630 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Are you "on your own" if missing connecting flight and...

"KLM customer 'care' simply said I had to pay another $ 1,800.00 for a new ticket - which seems so unhelpful."

I had a similar experience at a shop yesterday. Saw a Rolex watch I wanted and asked to get it for free. They refused! So unhelpful.

Reply to: Are you "on your own" if missing connecting flight and...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted