We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from east coast USA to Johannesburg South Africa

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from east coast USA to Johannesburg South Africa

Back in 2005 I traveled from Atlanta to Johannesburg via SAA on an Airbus 340. I can't afford first class/business class so I was in coach/economy. The seats were so cramped and if the person in front of me leaned their chair back, I had to slump down to be able to view my TV screen. Fortunately then I did not have back problems and subsequent surgery. A friend and I are planning on going to Malawi again in 2016 and am wondering how best to get from the USA to South Africa? My main concern is cabin comfort in economy and being seated next to my traveling companion. I understand there are only three flights to J'burg - ATL, JFK, and IAD? What do all of you suggest? Should I consider flying into another city to catch a subsequent flight to Lilongwe? Which airline would you recommend and from which city? Thanks in advance!

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from east coast USA to Johannesburg South Africa

Ethiopian and Kenya Airways fly into Lilongwe. Ethiopian fly from Washington according to wiki if thats any use to you. Cant see Kenya Airways flying to the US though but they do appear to codeshare with Air France-KLM.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from east coast USA to Johannesburg South Africa

You'd be better off going through a European hub

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from east coast USA to Johannesburg South Africa

I've flown ATL/JNB several times on Delta. You can upgrade your seat to economy comfort for a bit morew than coach. You get more leg room and recline. Good luck with your choice. If you need assistance w/stay after your flight, look at TA SA forum. Nice folks!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from east coast USA to Johannesburg South Africa

Thanks!

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from east coast USA to Johannesburg South Africa

United is a codeshare partner with South African Airways ( Star Alliance) You may wish to check their website for easier flights.( overnight somewhere in Europe) 18 hours is along time to sit in ecomony, I did last year and the last few hours were tough. Loved the airline , good service and food.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from east coast USA to Johannesburg South Africa

I flew Delta from ATL to JNB and back. I was in economy and actually was fairly comfortable for a 16hr flight. That was twice the duration of the longest single flight I had ever done before.

7. Re: Traveling from east coast USA to Johannesburg South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:17