We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar Airways Nightmare - help?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Qatar Airways Nightmare - help?

Just returned from a business trip to SE Asia. Went with Qatar Airways - it was a nightmare.

Manchester to Manila via Doha. I arrived at Doha, with my boarding pass for the Manila leg in hand. At the business terminal in Doha I was stopped ......

Due to overbooking (they said) I was downgraded to economy for the 8.5 hour trip to Manila.

By way of compensation, they offered to take me to the plane in a private BMW (how that is meant to compensate I have no idea) Anyway they did take me to the plane in a BMW and I was sitting in my economy seat chatting to the air hostess when she mentioned Jakarta. Why Jakarta? Because that's where we are going. But I'm supposed to be going to Manila!!!?? They had taken me to the wrong plane!! In all my years I've never experienced such a shambles.

So.....Can anybody give me the contact details for high level complaints because I can't get past London Customer Service?

(My advice to you, fly Emirates, not Qatar.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Qatar Airways Nightmare - help?

Personally I would work out the fair differential you are due, v the 75% you are due, and then subtract any legal, fees way before I employed a solicitor.

Simply write to the airline and ask for the comp you are due. The difference between business v economy and the 75 percent in reality might not be very different. In fact the fare differential could even be higher than the 75 percent, depending on what was paid for your ticket. I'd be looking at that very carefully.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Qatar Airways Nightmare - help?

You definitely deserve some sort of refund for the downgrade, and you may be due more for the delay.

But I have to take you to task a little here - this was a "nightmare" for you (you use the word twice)? There was an overbooked situation, followed by some confusion. The airlines did their best to make it right, and you arrived at your destination unscathed, at the time you were originally scheduled, and not out of pocket, financially.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Qatar Airways Nightmare - help?

A bit shoddy that QR is referring you to your travel agent.

QR has already uplifted your eticket coupons so will now have the revenue that was paid. If you ask your agent for a refund, are they supposed to choose the rock bottom fare? A medium tariff? Full Y? Plus, the fact that there are no eticket coupons left means the agent is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If QR customer service in the UK is not playing ball, I would go through the Small Claims Court. One last letter advising of your intent. If no reply of substance within 28 days then it's off to court we go.

Although this may put you off QR for life, I would try not to let it cloud your judgement too much. It's very unlikely lightning would strike twice if you used them again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Qatar Airways Nightmare - help?

The air hostess? Not only did they put you on a flight to Jakarta they transported you back to the 1950s too! Impressive!

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Qatar Airways Nightmare - help?

Personally I would work out the fair differential you are due, v the 75% you are due, and then subtract any legal, fees way before I employed a solicitor.

Bott and co works as a claims management co,and takes a 15% cut of the money recovered.This is on a no win no fee basis.

They are also the company that have forced BA to about face and pay the claims following the closure of Heathrow after the debacle with the Oslo flight that was forced to return and closed Heathrow.

I agree with frggyEngland,I would go after Qatar myself,but some people prefer the option of a claims co to handle the matter for them.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Qatar Airways Nightmare - help?

A pain, but hardly a nightmare.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Qatar Airways Nightmare - help?

In reply to the term nightmare ......

It was the second leg of 2 x 8 hour flights.

I worked during leg 1 and was planning to sleep on the second leg.

I was put in a bulkhead seat centre section in economy - throughout the flight other passengers kept pushing in front of me to use the toilet instead of going through the galley. I got no rest. Only once did a member of the cabin crew stop somebody. I had an important meeting to go to when I arrived in Manila - so yes, it was a nightmare. Also, I got no rest or food in Doha as I was stuck at the transfer desk trying to sort out the downgrade.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Qatar Airways Nightmare - help?

'First one on the plane.' Did you enter through the front or rear stairs?

With a BMW transfer, I would say you were delivered to the front business class stairs well before boarding was due to commence. Was your boarding pass checked as you entered? Just wondering.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Qatar Airways Nightmare - help?

In reply to the term nightmare ......

It was the second leg of 2 x 8 hour flights.

I worked during leg 1 and was planning to sleep on the second leg.

I was put in a bulkhead seat centre section in economy - throughout the flight other passengers kept pushing in front of me to use the toilet instead of going through the galley. I got no rest. Only once did a member of the cabin crew stop somebody. I had an important meeting to go to when I arrived in Manila - so yes, it was a nightmare. Also, I got no rest or food in Doha as I was stuck at the transfer desk trying to sort out the downgrade.

20. Re: Qatar Airways Nightmare - help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:17