We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection at Dubai Airport - Can i leave the airport?

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Connection at Dubai Airport - Can i leave the airport?

I will be flying back from Taiwan to London Heathrow in July, and I have a connection at Dubai. I was wondering if I could leave the airport during that connection. And do I have to re possess by hold luggage to leave the airport? The connection time at the airport is 4 hours 15 mins. I hold a British passport and Im flying with Emirates. Thanks in advance :)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,473 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection at Dubai Airport - Can i leave the airport?

There is nothing to stop you but you will need to obtain a visa on arrival - your bags should be checked through to LHR assuming you are on a single ticket.

You will of course need to allow plenty of time (at least 1 hour) to get back airside to catch the flight so I'm not sure how much you could achieve in the time available.

https:/…entry-requirements

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,990 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection at Dubai Airport - Can i leave the airport?

Two of the runways at Dubai airport are closed by reconstruction work from the beginning of May until mid/late July. Emirates will continue to use the airport, though some other airlines will temporarily transfer flights elsewhere. Delays to flights can be expected and some flights have been retimed, so it might be a good idea to only decide what to do on the day once you see what happens to your flights, you might not have as much time as you think.

Emirates will transfer your baggage from one flight to the other automatically - I doubt if you could get it back even if you wanted to.

UK passport holders can obtain a visa on arrival in Dubai.

One question - doesn't the flight from Taiwan get in at 04:15 or 05:10 according to date - even in a city like Dubai what will there be to do in the middle of the night?

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,959 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection at Dubai Airport - Can i leave the airport?

Say 1 hr to get through immigration etc, & being back at the airport at least 90mins before your next flight leaves, doesn't really leave you much time to do much

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,023 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection at Dubai Airport - Can i leave the airport?

The airport run way closures in Dubai are not impacting the flights IME - EK rescheduled its timetable some time ago to accommodate this.

When we came through DXB 2 weeks ago at what is usually its busiest time it was a lot less busy than it usually is.

No problem leaving the airport as you get VOA.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection at Dubai Airport - Can i leave the airport?

You can, yes, but you've not got much time really, personally I wouldn't in this time frame.

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection at Dubai Airport - Can i leave the airport?

TomC97, AndyW33, jaynewcastle11, bronia, and froggyEngland.

Thank you all for the comments/advice. I probably wont be leaving the airport now, it sounds like its not worth it. And the flight lands at DXB 0510 so there wont be much out there to see anyway!

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,650 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection at Dubai Airport - Can i leave the airport?

If you land at that time, no there's no point in leaving the airport as there will be nothing much to see.

The airport is a large one with plenty of shops and places to eat so I would take advantage of a wander around.

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection at Dubai Airport - Can i leave the airport?

Ok Daisy thanks, that's what my plan is now. Should be a good stop over.

9. Re: Connection at Dubai Airport - Can i leave the airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 05:17