We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to fight jet lag for an interview?

7 posts
Save Topic
How to fight jet lag for an interview?

In 2 weeks, I will be flying from Korea to Tennessee for a job interview. I get in at 10:25 pm and my interview will be the next day at 8 am. It will be all day. Any strategies I can use to assure I will have energy for the interview????

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to fight jet lag for an interview?

Go earlier if you can.

I suppose you could put your watch on Tennessee time a week beforehand and try to put your sleep pattern onto local timing.

But there are lots of suggestions on how to deal with jetlag each one probably not much better than another.

They might work for some people and not others.

The fact remains that you are taking a long flight the day before an interview arriving very late at night.

You only have about ten hours before the start of the interview to clear the airport , get to your hotel, sleep ??? shower and then get over to the interview venue for 0800.

Not much wiggle room if there is a delay.

Not the best preparation.

I would try to take an earlier flight.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 06:44
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to fight jet lag for an interview?

That's cutting it very fine indeed, what happens if something goes wrong with your flight and you are seriously delayed or cancelled?

Even if it's on time, you are not going to be at your hotel before midnight and then are going to have to get up a short bit later to get ready and go for the interview.

I too would also go earlier, jet lag is one thing, but cutting it this fine is tantamount to counting yourself out of the running.

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
650 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to fight jet lag for an interview?

Not a jet lag combatting response per se but FWIW I once had an all day interview on no sleep at all. Just as I was so nervous. Although not ideal its amazing what you can do on little sleep if you are motivated! I got the job. But I agree arrive earlier if possible! Good luck.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,950 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to fight jet lag for an interview?

In your place I would go one day earlier.

7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to fight jet lag for an interview?

Getting an earlier flight is impossible. And they are well aware of my situation. I usually do well with jetlag and fatigue. I just want to mitigate any possibilities I can.

FWIW, I asked for advice about dealing with jetlag, not interviewing on time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to fight jet lag for an interview?

Charming.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
50,971 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to fight jet lag for an interview?

The best answer is to fly out earlier. You have dismissed that advice, and there is no guaranteed way for you not to be adversely affected by a long flight, crossing time zones and lack of sleep. You have only 9 and a half hours between scheduled touch down time and the interview. There are an awful lot of things that can go wrong, it is a strange way to prepare for a long and presumably important interview.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to fight jet lag for an interview?

I'm not sure where in Korea the op is coming from, but if it's south, that's an awfully long way to fly and the time difference is killer, tennesse during the day is throughout the night in Seoul, so effectively you are interviewing through the night, unless you are used to pulling a night shift, no one is going to find this easy, and not after spending twenty odd hours travelling.

On top of this, the fact they are " well aware" is totally irrelevant. They will not make exceptions for you. It's going to be about how you perform and come across on the day, it's a competition effectively, you need to beat the other candidates and be the best.

No matter how good you are, dealing with the physical symptoms from your brain not functioning as quickly as it should due to lack of sleep, through to feeling seriously nauseous, is not something you will be able to prevent.

Lastly there is a very fair chance your flight will be delayed, which will seriously limit you further. Unless all the other candidates are in the same situation, you are putting yourself in a very difficult to win situation.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,950 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to fight jet lag for an interview?

<< I usually do well with jetlag and fatigue.>>

<<I asked for advice about dealing with jetlag>>

Confusing statements.

My strategy for jet lag was and is to give my body time. Especially before important meetings. But then I never did well with any time difference of more than around 6 hours.

If you just search for "jet lag" there are many recommendations.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,543 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to fight jet lag for an interview?

Not really much you can do to avoid jet lag other than get to your hotel as soon as you can upon arrival and try to catch a few hours sleep.

Avoid anything with caffeine or alcohol on the plane. If you are a coffee drinker have a cup the morning of the interview and it should help you a bit.