We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Cathay Pacific with a nut allergy

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Cathay Pacific with a nut allergy

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone with a nut allergy has flown with Cathay Pacific?

I am traveling with Cathay Pacific in a few weeks and when I emailed them about requesting a special meal to be nut free they just told me that they could not accommodate this, as most of their food is cooked in peanut oil, and to bring my own food for the 40hr flight (nothing that needs chilling or re-heating).

I asked if I could order the fruit platter meal instead, however they also said they could not guarantee this to be nut free due to cross contamination.

Has anyone had anything similar to this happen to them?

Has anyone with a nut allergy eaten their regular meals or fruit platters on flight?

What foods would be suitable to take with me on the flight?

Thanks for the help

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,276 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Cathay Pacific with a nut allergy

Have a look at this site ... there seems to be quite a bit that would be peanut free, especially the pasta.

http://www.airreview.com/Cathay/Food.htm

It also states their child meal is nut free ...

cathaypacific.com/cx/…special-meals.html

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Cathay Pacific with a nut allergy

Just like 100's of foods on our shelves stating 'may contain traces of nuts' - airlines like to play it safe aswell. Although they are fully aware that the meal itself contains no nuts - they cannot avoid the possibility cross contamination either in the kitchen or on board the aircraft at meal time. A crew member with nut residue on their hands opening the foil wrap from your meal. Being placed in the same warmer with moisture drips etc etc.

I am sure many people with nut allergies have eaten meals/fruit on flights with no ill afects. However with a true nut allergy and the 'death within minutes' consequences - then maybe bringing your own is best.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Cathay Pacific with a nut allergy

Suitable foods to take with you; fruit, cereal bars, snack pots (add hot water type), I don't know if you can get these food doctor pots in Perth, but there maybe something similar (they are quite filling)...

thefooddoctor.com/COUSCOUS-and-LENTIL-POT-wi…

You could try to have a meal at the airport and possibly another during any layover you have? Also stocking up on snacks.

Disclaimer......Obviously double check the ingredients as some of the food doctor pots may contain oils which may trigger your allergies!!! :0)

Edited: 07 June 2014, 11:22
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,529 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Cathay Pacific with a nut allergy

Cathay's statement is protective, but it is in line with the recommendation of UK Allergy: "For those who want to make certain of their personal well-being, the best advice is to take your own food. " allergyuk.org/general-avoidance/travelling-a…

I think it is now up to you. You are the only person who understands best how serious your nut allergy is. If you have severe allergic reaction and this is the first time you travel by aircraft, you might want to talk to your doctor before travelling.

<< for the 40hr flight>>

There must be a misunderstanding. There is no such thing as a 40 hours flight. The longest Cathay flight is around 16 hours. Still long, and of course you want to eat, but not 40 hours.

england
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Cathay Pacific with a nut allergy

this one of the airlines on our "never fly with them" list. Depends on how serious your allergy is, of course, but my kid started to show signs of a reaction when someone opened a bag of peanuts several rows away on a Qantas fight. Peanut will get into the air and filters dont remove it.When a reaction occurs in flight adrenaline does not work as well. So if you are daft enough to fly with them take steroids as well as your adrenaline. Boiled eggs, bananas, sandwich, flask of soup will get you over the first leg of the flight. We always take cereal bars we know to be safish (nothing is certain), chocolate and crisps - enough cereal bars for both ways unless we cant find safish food at our destination.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,248 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Cathay Pacific with a nut allergy

"this one of the airlines on our "never fly with them" list. Depends on how serious your allergy is, of course, but my kid started to show signs of a reaction when someone opened a bag of peanuts several rows away on a Qantas fiight"

You're referring to Qantas yet the Op is about Cathay. Why would Cathay be on your never fly list?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Cathay Pacific with a nut allergy

If you read TA enough, you'd know that every airline is on the "never fly" list. Interesting someone says they'll never fly Qantas (or CP) because of a peanut reaction. Presumably they have researched what airlines could guarantee no possible nut contamination. OP apparently checked only after paying for their flight but at least they checked before boarding. I assumed OP meant 40 hrs. of traveling. Not sure what they'll do at airports and after arrival.

Fair or not, automatically assuming that an airline will have meals to accommodate one's food sensitivities may not be realistic. If it's important enough, check in advance.

Edited: 13 October 2014, 20:01
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Cathay Pacific with a nut allergy

If there is a list of airlines that guarantee no nut contamination it could be useful I could imagine an airline's legal department wanting to avoid this.

London, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Cathay Pacific with a nut allergy

<< for the 40hr flight>>

<<<<<There must be a misunderstanding. There is no such thing as a 40 hours flight. The longest Cathay flight is around 16 hours. Still long, and of course you want to eat, but not 40 hours.>>>>>

Pretty sure we all know the OP likely means 2 flights of 12 plus hours plus stopover time etc a very long time! Anyway OP your own food seems to be the best idea, and so many people seem to do it these days

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,557 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying Cathay Pacific with a nut allergy

"Anyway OP your own food seems to be the best idea, and so many people seem to do it these days"

=====

Just to point out that the OP posted in June and flew just "a few weeks" later.