We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transit visa in Turkey

1 post
Save Topic
transit visa in Turkey

Hello . I'm a 17 years old Yemeni student who has American visa .I'm going back from America to Yemen and on my way back I'm gonna stop in Istanbul for 4 hours all nd I wish if I can extend that to 3 days or more. My parents are going to come from Yemen to turkey and pick up from the airport so I can go and see the city .

1 Can I do that ? Can I buy a transit visa?

2 what about my bags and luagges ? Would they Continue their trip to Yemen ?

3 And when the transit visa ends would I have to buy myself a new ticket to Yemen ? How

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,433 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transit visa in Turkey

The visa for Turkey is a simple sticker type - not sure of the current price, but it was $20. in 2011. If you are ticketed through to Yemen, and do not complete the trip on that ticket, you will have some problems. I suggest you call your airline (is it TK/Turkish?) and change your itinerary. It will cost you more because you will be buying 2 trip tickets then. Don't worry about the baggage until you call the airline and change things.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transit visa in Turkey

No the visa for turkey is now electronic, you need to apply on line. Very similar to an esta application.

You need a visa, not sure about Yemen specific requirements.

As for baggage, yes it gets checked through, you need to call your airline and change your ticket.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transit visa in Turkey

Is your ticket to Yemen a one way or a round trip? If it is a round trip and you are planning on using it to return to the US, be aware that if you miss the Istanbul/Turkey leg, all subsequent legs (including the return legs) could be cancelled. Suggest you read the T&C's of your ticket prior to making any decision.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,128 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transit visa in Turkey

You need to obtain your Visa before you arrive in Istanbul. I think if you have a US Visa the price is $200USD, but I am not an expert on Visa information.

If you are flying Turkish Air, you should contact them. A couple of months ago they were running a promotion inviting passengers to "spend a few days in Istanbul". They allowed people to interrupt their travels in Istanbul for a few days and then resume their travels at no extra cost. Even if they do not have that special still happening, you should make arrangements to officially leave the flight at Istanbul. As others have explained, there are serious consequences if you do not complete all legs of a ticketed airline experience.

Kusadası, Izmir...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transit visa in Turkey

There is NO extra charge for a stopover on TK on a long haul ticket, I live in Turkey and do this all the time,efectivly gets me 2 tickets for the price of one even in P (booking) class, 2 days,2 months,does not matter,if you want 2 you have to pay 50 euro,generally.

It is emphatically still posible to get a visa on arrival in Turkey,its suposed to change though,but my gues is that it will still be possible even after its suposed to change,since there will be heaps of people withouth visas.

They say that it will not be posible "after the 2014 tourist season".

If TK ran "a promotion" abouth stopovers in IST,it was to draw the atention to their stopover policy,not because it was an one of offer,this is realy a nice feature of TK!!!

Edited: 09 June 2014, 19:58
Kusadası, Izmir...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transit visa in Turkey

Whether your ticket will cost more depends upon what your original ticket cost,since your ticket is from the US to Yemen and probably not heavilly discounted due to lack of competition,my gues is that it would NOT.

TK is VERY reasonable/flexible when it comes to theese things compared to almost any major airline,again a nice feature of TK,UNFORTUNATELY,there are others that are NOT so nice!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transit visa in Turkey

>>it's emphatically still possible to get a visa on arrival<<

That's highly misleading. Technically you are correct, they have set up ekosks and wi if hot spots so people can apply for an electronic visa on landing yes, but it's the exact same electronic visa you apply for at any other time before departure . The old manual sticker variety on arrival is gone.

The self serve ekosks and wifi hot sports are there for the people who did not know it was changed to an electronic system and need to access the Internet to apply on arrival because they did not do it before departure, However it's still the exact same electronic visa, just like the esta,

There is absolutely no point in someone waiting to arrival before then going on line and applying electronically.

8. Re: transit visa in Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 06:15