We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turbulence in las vegas

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
turbulence in las vegas

Hi all,

I am trying to plan my flights to and from Las Vegas flying from the east coast. I have heard that Las Vegas tends to be a turbulent area, especially in the summer. I am better flying at night, maybe a red eye, for a lower chance of turbulence?

sincerely, one nervous, infrequent flyer

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,836 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: turbulence in las vegas

Whilst the presence of turbulence is obviously variable I have found that flights that arrive at night or early in the day are less prone to turbulence although that is of course no guarantee - you can encounter turbulence at any point in a flight and there is simply no way to avoid it although flight crew will always try to fly around the worst of it.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: turbulence in las vegas

Rembember to keep those nerves hidden on the Poker tables ;)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
36,614 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: turbulence in las vegas

LAS, just like PHX, can have turbulence, and especially in Summer with thermals, due to the high temps. They can also experience dust storms, as thunderstorms build, and travel across dusty desert areas.

However, the prevailing conditions, and tracks of most storms are known, and precautions are usually in place - still, a Summer thermal might pick up, right after the previously landed flight, and be a bit of a "surprise" to the next plane. We have experienced more turbulent take-offs and landings, though, in some other cities, such as Chicago (ORD), or Boston (BOS), or trying to land on sheet ice at DEN.

While it can get a tad bumpy, there is seldom much danger. Just not a silky smooth approach and landing.

Just keep those seat belts buckled, low and tight across your waist...

Hunt

Edited: 10 June 2014, 02:21
Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: turbulence in las vegas

Hi

Here is an Q &A from a nervous flyer traveling from Detroit to Las Vegas, and pilot's answer

…usatoday.com/travel/columnist/getline/2005-…

Relevant excerpt:

>>Regarding your specific question about flying from Las Vegas to Detroit: Las Vegas is very subject to thermal turbulence which develops during the day as things heat up. Heat, of course, rises, but it doesn't rise evenly and if you throw in just a little wind as well it can be quite bumpy in the afternoons. The trick to avoid turbulence when flying into and out of desert cities is to fly early in the day or late at night while things are relatively cool. The same goes for airports situated near mountains, like Reno and Denver.<<

I can give you my one observation point recently (not making any scientific conclusion mind you). But our family split up flying to LAS recently. Two of us connected through Dallas Ft Worth and arrived 1030ish AM. Two other transited via Denver, arriving at noon. The earlier DFW flight was uneventful. The folks through Denver and arrived later said ride was bumpy. I did not check to see if sizes of the planes were comparable, but the turbulence was noticeable.

Take a deep breath. Relax. Plane will stay intact, and turbulence is usually short lived. Good luck.

5. Re: turbulence in las vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 07:16