We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

american airlines or delta. UK to US

London, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
american airlines or delta. UK to US

Hi planning our LA/Vegas trip and looking at flights at the moment to book asap.

Would of course love to travel with virgin or BA but they are just out of our price range and American airlines and Delta have come up at a really good price.

The flights will be London to LA, las Vegas to London. Hiring a car to drive from LA to Vegas.

Has anyone done these flights abd if so any recommendations?

Reviews for American airlines don't look to promising and Delta seems average.

Obviously this is a long flight so want to be comfortable and have some entertainment etc.

Any help, recommendations etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1. Re: american airlines or delta. UK to US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 15:23
London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: american airlines or delta. UK to US

Thanks Mike. Good to know.

IMO, they are both much of a muchness in economy. I would pick whichever best suits your times and budget.

I find that quite a few people have a very polarised view of the US airlines - they tend to pick one of the three and then slate the other two (no offence intended!)

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: american airlines or delta. UK to US

Delta are my choice to the US..Never had an issue with them and the IFE has always been good. However as Intrepid says, in economy the transatlantic carriers are really much of a muchness.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,133 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: american airlines or delta. UK to US

It comes down to your expectations. Just expect that the airline transports you from A to B and somewhere in between the give you something to eat to fill a hole in the stomach. Otherwise expect economy to be tight and a bit uncomfortable, but then you after good fares.

A good recipe is to follow their policies and to not expect that they make an exception for you, because they won't.

I would pick the carrier you suits most in terms of price / schedule. Personally I do not see a difference between AA and Delta, it mostly comes down to a bit of luck or the absence of bad luck.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 07:51
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,642 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: american airlines or delta. UK to US

Most legacy US-based carriers are more similar than different. I agree with Dubai_Phil's assessment above overall.

The only thing to look is perhaps the plane you will be flying on. Airlines might offer certain extra legroom seats at a price so you could be more comfortable. Also, some older planes may not have seatback TV's although they keep being refurbished so hopefully, my statement here can become outdated soon.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: american airlines or delta. UK to US

I dont know about Delta but check the AA flights carefully, some of their transatlantic flights dont have IFE, eg seat back video. I am guessing but dont know, that Delta do have it. Youd need to check.

Also, you could try looking on the AA website and choosing BA flights. Sometimes they are cheaper booked this way than direct with BA maybe thats enough to sway the difference?

Also, be aware that with BA you cannot select seats in advance unless you pay, (free at checkin at T-24) with AA only some seats can you book in advance, I dont know about Delta but if you can select their seats for free perhaps thats a differentiator for you? (youd need to check obviously)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,089 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: american airlines or delta. UK to US

"Also, you could try looking on the AA website and choosing BA flights. Sometimes they are cheaper booked this way than direct with BA maybe thats enough to sway the difference?"

If you are looking at AA flights then I'd also suggest checking prices via the US Airways website - I was looking at similar flights and found that AA flights booked via US Airways (technically the same company but still separate airlines following their recent merger) were sometimes a little cheaper than booking via AA.

You might also find that the same could apply to the Delta flights if booked via the likes of Virgin Atlantic or KLM (their partners) although I've not done any recent searches for these flights.

London
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: american airlines or delta. UK to US

American Airlines have some decent planes with good IFE and seats, but some awful planes too. I flew from Heathrow to LA on a plane that had no entertainment at all, not even the overhead screens. Delta's planes to London always seem to be the same, which is somewhere between the two.

Have a look at Delta's website though, as they have a lot of Virgin codeshare flights, which can work out a lot cheaper than booking Virgin Atlantic directly. Same with American Airlines' website and BA codeshares.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: american airlines or delta. UK to US

What kind of aircraft? That's important to me. Look at seating maps.

You would rent, not hire, a car (we hire people). One-way rentals can be expensive if there's a drop-off charge. It's a boring drive from L.A. to Vegas. You can fly pretty cheaply, from LAX or from one of the smaller regional airports, such as Burbank (check Southwest, www.southwest.com, which doesn't appear on third party sites). I'd also check a multi-city itinerary, including a LA-Las Vegas flight, with American or Delta, just to see if it'd cost any more.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 11:48
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,133 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: american airlines or delta. UK to US

@ Sutter. This is a travel forum. However, in English (British) one can use the word 'hiring" in the sense of obtaining the temporary use of something. That is not according to me but to the Oxford Dictionary.