We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking through Amex travel?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
317 posts
7 reviews
Booking through Amex travel?

I've seen all the warnings here about third-party ticket sellers but I'm wondering if the American Express is also problematic. I've done a search and don't see that mentioned here.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,485 posts
87 reviews
11. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

I used them some time ago with no problems . I also have friends that them them most of the time, but yes they also have Platinum and Centurion cars, not to mention flying in the pointy end. I think they have a very good reputation and try to keep it, I would certainly sooner use them rather than other internet resellers.

I know that they sometimes have deals like buy a return ticket in first and get a free return ticket in C for a later date, so maybe they have a deal going with United for this

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
12. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

I used to book A LOT throug Amex corporate - my company had a deal with them.

In my case working for a big international company, I must say I've never had any probem and had access to a helpdesk + experience.

However I didn't pay and I guess my company negociated good deals....

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
317 posts
7 reviews
13. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

Thanks for the responses. I actually found a different option. I went to ITAMatrix and found the best price for United or United code shares. Then I went to the United website and booked a multi-leg trip of four nonstops thus forcing it to route me through Munich both ways which resulted in the best price -- $855.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
50 reviews
14. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

I know that they sometimes have deals like buy a return ticket in first and get a free return ticket in C for a later date, so maybe they have a deal going with United for this

They have buy one get one free on business and first class but it's only with certain airlines and on fully flexible tickets. These tickets are often more than double the cost of a discounted, inflexible ticket so it's not the greatest deal for a leisure traveller unless you need flexibility.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
15. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

Rachel B, will your bags be forwarded at each stop, and if you miss a connection, will UA guarantee you passage to your next stop? I'd like to know for my own use.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,555 posts
74 reviews
16. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

A number of UK companies are using Amex as a travel agent without any problems, but I would not use them personally, they don't seem to look for 'special' offers hence are more expensive, which clearly makes no difference to the business.

Reliable, yes.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,246 posts
67 reviews
17. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

IF you book one multi city ticket on the United web site then the luggage should be taken care of on each leg.

IF you buy 4 separate one way tickets then that doesn't work the same way.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
317 posts
7 reviews
18. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

The UA fare is a single multi-leg ticket. One confirmation #. I just used ITA Matrix to find the routings that were the best price and reasonable connections. Then I billed my 2-stage trip as a 4-stage telling putting in IAD-MUN-ATH instead of just IAD-ATH. I just had to make sure that the times were right. It would only work if you can find all the segments on the same airline or a codeshare.

. The Amex does sound like a potentially bad choice!

19. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:17