We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA sale?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
BA sale?

I'm currently suffering with a massive case of 'regretting not booking early enough'. I'm going to NYC in late September and checked prices in April. I was literally half way through booking with BA for the ridiculously cheap price of £400 return. I didnt. The next day they put prices up to £560. This wouldnt be so bad if every single alternative provider didn't do exactly the same. Overnight it went from a plethora of available cheap tickets to none.

I'm currently checking prices daily hoping for a price drop. Does anyone know/remember if BA's sales follow any pattern and when/if they might hold their next one.

P.S I know £560 isnt that bad, ITS THE PRINCIPLE!!!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA sale?

There is usually one in January and another in June/July, although fares are not necessarily reduced across the board - price will still depend on the dates you need to fly and exactly where you're going. If you happen to have chosen a popular day, it's quite possible that price won't go any lower.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA sale?

P.S I know £560 isnt that bad, ITS THE PRINCIPLE!!!

===============

Principles cost money sometimes - especially when you next look and it may be £650+.

Take your medicine and pay the £560. There is no guarantee your route will be included in any June / July sale, especially so close to the date of departure.

Alloa, United...
Level Contributor
933 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA sale?

I feel your pain, we are going to Las Vegas I Sept and although I have hotel/spending money sorted I still have not booked flights. I am also checking daily and BA have put prices up a lot over the last couple of days (before a sale reduction ?) I have also been checking other carriers and KLM dropped to £615 return Edinburgh/Vegas yesterday , today its £850 , Delta have increased to the same and AA have gone up to a similar amount .

I am tied in with dates but not airlines (BA is my preferred carrier) so hopefully some of the fares will drop or Mrs Reddwarf will not be happy with me :)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
44,779 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA sale?

The moral of this story is to book when you see a price you are happy with and don't look back. Chasing the best possible price will only cause misery and distress in the end!

London
Level Contributor
407 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA sale?

Buy the tickets now!

Sods law will mean the sale will start tomorrow and therefore I can then buy tickets.

I'm waiting for the next sale before I buy some tickets.

Their luxury sale has just ended so hopefully an normal one will start soon.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA sale?

I just find it strange that all the airlines can raise prices at the same time, by the same amount and the competition commission doesn't think that indicates some form of collusion. The £400 wasnt listed as a sale price, in fact flights in October are nearly that cheap. 45% increase overnight is a joke.

The only cheap option is Norwegian, but they charge for baggage on top which negates the reduced ticket price. Also, their issues with the dreamliner make it a non-starter.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,598 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA sale?

"I just find it strange that all the airlines can raise prices at the same time, by the same amount and the competition commission doesn't think that indicates some form of collusion."

It's not collusion unless you can prove it was agreed between the airlines - if airline A sets a price of £600 and airline B has the same route/dates available at £400 it does not make business sense to maintain that price and they'll simply increase it to £600 or near to it.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA sale?

Theonelikefranco

I sympathise. Two days ago I noticed BA flights to Boston in late Oct for £404. When I went back to book they had gone up to £560.

I was left wondering whether the original pricing was a technical glitch or maybe I dreamt them! I think the £404 was far too cheap to be a temporary "sale" price. Must have been a glitch.

Anyway, thanhks for posting your similar experience. I felt I was going mad!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA sale?

Carhirer - no madness, just annoying pricing.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA sale?

No point getting annoyed, there is nothing you can do about it