We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline lost luggage and only offering me 70% reimbursement

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Airline lost luggage and only offering me 70% reimbursement

I traveled to Oslo two weeks back on SAS and the airline lost my luggage. I arrive right before the nation's constitution day so stores would be closed for the next two days and the nature of my trip was for work purposes starting Monday so I had to go out and buy about five days worth of clothes on the day I arrived. I got my luggage and was able to return what I didn't wear but now they are only offering me a 70% reimbursement, and this is up from 50% when I told them I wanted a full reimbursement. I've heard airlines go back and forth with this kind of negotiation, but this person said it was their "final offer." I was just wondering if I should keep pursuing the 100%. Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Airline lost luggage and only offering me 70% reimbursement

I think 70 percent is very fair. You still have the new clothes, and effectively you have them for 30 percent of full cost.

Sure you wouldn't have had to buy them if your bag was not delayed, but you got your bag back as well. I'm not sure how much you spent, but agree with lex in that that can have an impact...if it was fifty euros they should pay it all, if it was 5000 no I don't think so. 70 percent seems very reasonable to me, without further detail.

12. Re: Airline lost luggage and only offering me 70% reimbursement

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 22:35
Edited: 12 June 2014, 22:35
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Airline lost luggage and only offering me 70% reimbursement

Also the airline did not lose the luggage. It was lost / misplaced someway along the transport. Frequently in an airport where the luggage is not handled by an airline. Once it reaches the airplane it is rare that it does not get loaded or unloaded by mistake.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,887 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Airline lost luggage and only offering me 70% reimbursement

I always understood that it is the ground staff (not airline employees) who are responsible not the airline. Also if the bag was found quickly, there is no compensation anyway. As said, travel insurance is for that not the airlines responsibility. Very lucky to get 70% not all airlines would offer anything

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,954 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Airline lost luggage and only offering me 70% reimbursement

"I always understood that it is the ground staff (not airline employees) who are responsible not the airline."

Often is, but there's no hard and fast rule. Just looking at reasons for delayed bags, not permanently lost or rifled bags:

Security scanning, and searching if necessary, of hold baggage is done by either airport employees (or airport subcontractors) or government employees depending on country. If they see something they think is suspicious and put it to one side to check further, the bag can well miss the flight, although the further check finds nothing wrong. Absolutely not the airline's fault.

Baggage conveyors can break down - these belong to the airport.

Baggage tags get torn off while the baggage passes along the conveyor belts at airports - the tags are an international standard. Not the airline's fault, and it may take a while to even work out which airline the bag is meant to be travelling with.

Then we have loading errors - at some airports the loaders are employed by the airport, at others they are directly employed by airlines (common at hub airports for the airline whose hub it is), or subcontracted by the airline to a handling company or even another airline. If they are airline employees or subcontractors it is the airline's responsibility.

Finally there are bags left behind deliberately because otherwise the aircraft will be overweight for the route and weather conditions. Obviously this is the airline's fault, but the alternative may be leaving passengers behind.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Airline lost luggage and only offering me 70% reimbursement

Airline should pay you 100% no matter how much you buy? Who would set the limits? Look at the terms and conditions of your tickets.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Airline lost luggage and only offering me 70% reimbursement

Another point is that the luggage was not "lost" - it was delayed. And we don't know if it was delayed two days or two weeks or even two months. Plus the clothing was purchased new to replace some clothing that presumably was not all new - so some depreciation is in order.

I really think the OP came out way ahead, with the return of his/her luggage, plus buying new clothing for only 30% of cost!

18. Re: Airline lost luggage and only offering me 70% reimbursement

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:17