We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax free refund without Form from the shop. Is it possible?

Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tax free refund without Form from the shop. Is it possible?

I bought clothes in a boutique over 100 euro and they told me I'm eligible for tax refund at the airport. However, the shop doesn't have any form and envelope to give me (like what I usually get from El Corte Engles so I can mail the form back to get the refund). They said they don't know anything about form. They gave me purchase receipt with the shop stamp on it but there is nothing else. They keep assuring me I can get my tax back by giving receipt to immigration officer.

I have done tax refund many times and always I will be provided envelop to send my receipt back.

Please can anyone tell me how I can get tax refund by just having a purchase receipt? ( there is my credit card information on it too)

I appreciate your response. Thank you.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,008 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tax free refund without Form from the shop. Is it possible?

I do not know which country you are referring to.

In Switzerland if you need: filled and stamped tax refund form incl. invoice, show goods at customs at airport (no packing into hold luggage), proof that you life outside Switzerland.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tax free refund without Form from the shop. Is it possible?

I doubt it would be the immigration officer that would process your tax refund - more likely a customs officer. since you are buying in Euros, I would assume that you are buying in an EU country, but what is your destination for the trip?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tax free refund without Form from the shop. Is it possible?

Many airports in EU have designated tax refund counters.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,214 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tax free refund without Form from the shop. Is it possible?

I thought that you had to spend something like 180 euros to qualify. Obviously some details are missing here - such as what country where the OP made the purchase.

London
Level Contributor
787 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tax free refund without Form from the shop. Is it possible?

Without knowing the country of purchase etc and bearing in mind most countries operate similar rebate procedures - and without giving the retailer the benefit of the doubt.............

I wouldn't quite call this a scam - but it's a way some retailers try to sweeten the purchase and save themselves some paperwork. Claim you don't need validated forms or just need the receipt. You buy. You try to claim at airport - at which point you find out its too late that you needed aforementioned form.

I think it is too late for OP, He would have needed the validated forms and obtained the refund before leaving the country.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
39,052 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tax free refund without Form from the shop. Is it possible?

Not ever claimed anything in Europe for obvious reasons, it is my understanding that only certain shops participate in the duty free scheme and will have the relevant forms..without the form you can't claim a thing.

7. Re: Tax free refund without Form from the shop. Is it possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:17