We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Weird Experience with TSA PreCheck ( or so I think...)

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
A Weird Experience with TSA PreCheck ( or so I think...)

I had been considering enrolling in TSA Pre Check but was trying to decide if it was worth the effort and enrollment fee for someone who travels by air 6 only so times annually. Meanwhile, I traveled via SWA to Raleigh about a month ago from FLL. There was bit of a back up at the TSA checkpoint and an official came over and told several of us to follow him as we would be going through the Pre Check line which had no waiting. An attendant there took my boarding pass and entered something in a hand held device and then waved me through without any checking. .

A few days later I printed out my return boarding pass at home and when I went through the normal TSA gate, the official announced that I was a Pre Check passenger and should us that gate- and at that point I noticed my boarding pass had Pre Check printed on it.

Fast forward to this week and another SWA flight , this time round trip to Las Vegas, . This time I had Pre Check pre printed on the Boarding passes as well( one pass was printed at home , and the return pass was an early bird check in provided by Southwest ) and was again allowed through that check point without inspection.. I guess my question is whether I have now been "grandfathered in" to TSA Pre Check without any enrollment investigation or fee( normally $85 I'm pretty certain) - and if so , is it likely to be just for SWA flights or for all of them? I am somewhat astounded at all this...It seems too good to be true...

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Weird Experience with TSA PreCheck ( or so I think...)

Are you by any chance a member of SouthWest's Rapid Rewards program? If so it's possible that Southwest enrolled you onto TSA Pre. That's what happened to me with United, although UA sent an email stating they planned to enrol me (among others) and gave me the opportunity to opt out (as Pre requires a background check). Of course I didn't opt out and when I checked in for a flight to Austin last year Pre showed up on my boarding pass.

I don't know if my TSA Pre status expands beyond United as since I was granted it I've only flown UA within the States. Security is now Bliss in the US. :-)

Edited: 13 June 2014, 04:07
Iowa
Level Contributor
289 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Weird Experience with TSA PreCheck ( or so I think...)

When my husband and I flew in January and February of this year, there were times I'd print out our boarding passes and one or both of us would have TSA Pre Check and other times not. We flew on three different airlines, one of them multiple flights, and there was no consistency as to when one or both of us would receive the Pre Check. We're members of all three airlines' rewards programs. I'm just grateful for those occasions when we lucked into the Pre Check category.

3. Re: A Weird Experience with TSA PreCheck ( or so I think...)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 13:20
Edited: 09 July 2014, 13:20
4. Re: A Weird Experience with TSA PreCheck ( or so I think...)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 13:20
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Weird Experience with TSA PreCheck ( or so I think...)

>>Sometimes you wonder if the TSA could organise a root in brothel.<<

I had to google that, I've never heard the phrase before, I understand now it's an Australian saying and means someone is incompetent, I then had to look up what " a root " was in Australia. Charming.,lol.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Weird Experience with TSA PreCheck ( or so I think...)

I am a member of SWA Rapid Rewards, but so is my boyfriend who was travelling with me this time on the same reservation number - and only my boarding passes came out as Pre Check ....

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,285 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A Weird Experience with TSA PreCheck ( or so I think...)

Not everyone gets it through rapid rewards, it's random. But that's almost certainly why you've started getting it. He might start too. Or he might not.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Weird Experience with TSA PreCheck ( or so I think...)

"I am a member of SWA Rapid Rewards,...."

In that case it's **possible** that you were registered for Pre in the same way I was with United.

".... but so is my boyfriend who was travelling with me this time on the same reservation number - and only my boarding passes came out as Pre Check ...."

Well that could be that Southwest only put you forward (possibly so far) for Pre. Pre is assigned to an individual passenger.

The TSA invited the airlines to submit candidates for Pre, and in United's case they put forward their top tier elite frequent fliers (I'm 1K). It's possible that Southwest regards you as a higher "value" flier than your BF.

And then it could be a screwy system whereby you got lucky.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Weird Experience with TSA PreCheck ( or so I think...)

Do you travel more frequently than your boyfriend? Of so, what usbt says makes sense, frequent flyers being registered first, as they benefit the most.

If you travel the same amount, it could simply be timing or random.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Weird Experience with TSA PreCheck ( or so I think...)

My father in law who is a British passport holder got pulled out and sent through pre check at Newark in January as well, confused is cause we thought it only applied to US citizens?