We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancellation doubt

Chennai (Madras...
5 posts
Save Topic
cancellation doubt

Hi,

I plan to fly from chennai to new york around october, but my plan dates are not finalized yet. I may have to cancel if there is 'situation' back at home. What is the best airliner where we can book and cancel tickets without much of a loss on cancellation?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,011 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancellation doubt

It is not so much about the airline as it is about the class of ticket. Cheap tickets are not flexible while more expensive ones are very flexible.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,483 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cancellation doubt

You should wait and book the flights when your travel dates are firm. The least expensive fares will be both non-cancelable and non-refundable, and you will have to pay a hefty fee to change those (if the airline even allows it). It is possible to book a fully canceleable fare, but most people cannot afford those. It's always best to wait until your plans are set before booking airfare.

-JimG

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cancellation doubt

Get good travel insurance when you book your tickets, too. But check the policy to see what are the reimbursable reasons for cancellation.

Chennai (Madras...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cancellation doubt

Thanks for the insightful answers. I have heard that open tickets are flexible but I have limited knowledge on the cost front of the open tickets. Are they at least comparable on prices to routine tickets?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancellation doubt

Are they at least comparable on prices to routine tickets?

======

No, they could be as much as 3x-5x or even more. You should be able to see by going on an airline website ad selecting the ticket type though you may have to phone.

An alternative is just to buy the absolute cheapest and throw them away if you need to cancel.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,853 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cancellation doubt

Travel insurance may help (and you should get that anyway). But, make sure that the reason for trip cancelation is covered by the policy. If it's a work/employment issue you may be able to get "cancel for work reasons" for a premium. If it's a health reason (including family members) you'd need to be aware of pre-existing conditions.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cancellation doubt

There is actually a middle way. The cheapest tickets are not flexible, you cannot cancel them. Open tickets and fully flexible tickets are expensive.

Just make go to some airline website (e.g. Emirates, Qatar, Etihad etc.) pick a ticket and check the conditions. Most tickets can be cancelled for a fee of around 125 - 150 USD. So if you need to cancel or change you will pay a bit, but you do not loose all the money and you do not need to buy a very expensive ticket.

Or just call an airline call center, they will help you for sure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cancellation doubt

Make sure you book direct with the airline if you do what phil says and make sure you read the terms and conditions very carefully,

I agree with him that all tickets can be cancelled, sure, but it doesn't mean also you get your ticket fare back. Be very careful you get the right ticket if you chose this option. You are looking for a fully refundable ticket and for many airlines that's more expensive than the base cheaper fares and is the exact same option as the other posters are talking about in the fully flexible/ refundable scenario.

Personally I would say you have three options, go for the fully flexible/refundable option, get travel insurance that will cover you, or book when your dates are firm and you know you won't be cancelling.

Chennai (Madras...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cancellation doubt

Thank you so much for all your answers. I 'll try your suggestions.

Never expected this place to be this friendly and helpful. Thank you !

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cancellation doubt

Hi

Hadrons 123

most people on here are more than willing to help when you are pro active and research before flight

usually we get the one poster complaining because they can't cancel flight after buying the cheapest

non refundable ticket then blamming the airline

so it's great to get a positive poster like you.