We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to S.Korea from Dallas; baggage claim

2 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to S.Korea from Dallas; baggage claim

I am traveling to S. Korea from south Texas and I have a 2hr 20min layover at Dallas.

I am checking my luggage at my departure from S.Texas but I want to know if I am gonna have to claim it once I arrive to Dallas and recheck it again for my next flight? I also read that I am gonna have to go through immigration here, too? please help me understand how does that work! This is the first time I flight internationally!

I am flying with American Airlines on both flights.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,363 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to S.Korea from Dallas; baggage claim

Welcome to the forum.

Assuming you are on a single ticket with a connection in DFW, your baggage will go to Korea. You will not go through any immigration or customs on departure from the USA.

Have a good trip.

2. Re: Traveling to S.Korea from Dallas; baggage claim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 08:06
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to S.Korea from Dallas; baggage claim

thank you! uhmm what does it mean single ticket?

i bought it round trip.. is that it?

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,131 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to S.Korea from Dallas; baggage claim

"thank you! uhmm what does it mean single ticket?

i bought it round trip.. is that it?"

What the question meant was whether you had bought a ticket to cover the journey from your home airport to Dallas and another ticket with a different ticket number from Dallas to South Korea. Sometimes people do this to save a few $ and then find they have all this hassle at the connecting point. By the sound of it, your ticket covers the entire journey from South Texas to South Korea and back, in which case you won't have to do anything at Dallas on your outward journey except walk to the departure gate. When you are on your way home, though, you will have to go through the immigration-collect bags-customs-recheck bags routine at Dallas as this is the first point in the USA you reach.

"Is that true? In the USA you can leave with no customs/immigration? I would not have thought so, but things do change."

Certainly is true. Exactly the same applies for the UK.

5. Re: Traveling to S.Korea from Dallas; baggage claim

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

6. Re: Traveling to S.Korea from Dallas; baggage claim

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to S.Korea from Dallas; baggage claim

Hi

when you first check-in at your local airport if you have one ticket for entire flight the check-in agent

will ask to see your passport and see if you have or need proper visa for you trip

if everything is in order they should check your bags all the way to S Korea and you won't see them again until there when you change planes in Dallas simple go to the departure gate for your international leg.

there will be no customs or immigration check, maybe depending on airport you may have to go thru TSA security again

On your return trip on your first landing you will go thru immigration get bags and then customs then put bags back on conveyor for your next flight as they should have been checked all the way thru

be sure and double check your bags are checked all the way to final destinations

8. Re: Traveling to S.Korea from Dallas; baggage claim

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:16