We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK - Terminal 7 to Terminal 5 transfer?

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
JFK - Terminal 7 to Terminal 5 transfer?

I'm going to be flying in from Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific coming in around 12:00pm. I then have a flight going to Boston leaving around 4pm on Jet Blue. Is 4 hours enough time to get through customs, transfer terminals, recheck my bags, go through security and get to my flight?

I've never flown out of JFK before so I'm not sure what it's like. I have a feeling it's not enough time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK - Terminal 7 to Terminal 5 transfer?

plenty of time for customs but Immigration may take some time. Traveling on 2 separate tickets is always risky but you just might make it with 4 hours

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK - Terminal 7 to Terminal 5 transfer?

Thanks!! There are a couple later flights, one at 9 and the other around 10:30 or so. So I could rebook, I just hate the idea of sitting in an airport for 8+ hours when I could have been home already.

It's been a couple years since I've flown internationally so I'm a little hazy on details, but do I need to go through immigration as a US resident? I only remember going through one step, but then again it was Boston so it could be completely different at JFK.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,061 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK - Terminal 7 to Terminal 5 transfer?

Everyone goes through Immigration. That's the point, establishing that you're a US citizen and entiled to come back home. :)

You're a permanent resident, or a citizen?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,315 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK - Terminal 7 to Terminal 5 transfer?

That should be sufficient time. Are you on one ticket or two. Depending on your answer,there could be a different way of handling your luggage.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK - Terminal 7 to Terminal 5 transfer?

I'm a citizen.

I'm on two different tickets. I'm flying with a group package into JFK, but I had to book my flight home separately.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,305 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK - Terminal 7 to Terminal 5 transfer?

Should be plenty of time. Once you've cleared customs then you'll enter into the public area. Take the AirTrain from Terminal 7 to Terminal 5 (it's only one stop) and you'll check in with B6 there.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK - Terminal 7 to Terminal 5 transfer?

Awesome, thanks!! Glad it will be somewhat easy.

8. Re: JFK - Terminal 7 to Terminal 5 transfer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:19