We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Picture

Level Contributor
752 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Passport Picture

Hi

We have a 14 month old son with long hair (have not cut his hair since birth), however, when he is 16 months we will be shaving all his hair off, and the day after we plan to fly somewhere on holiday.

My question is that if I have his passport made now i.e. While he has long hair and then fly out after it has been shaved off, will if cause problems at the airport?

Anyone with any experience or thought about this?

Thanks

Kamal

Level Contributor
752 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Passport Picture

@amatrip - I may be crazy in your opinion but your comments don't really make much sense to me! Are you saying that it's not possible to book a last minute holiday? If that is what you are saying that you are living in the dark ages because I have to book last minute holidays all the time due to work commitments, and it works just fine.

Yes I know exactly when we will be shaving my sons hair as it's a religious ceremony that will take a few hours in the morning on a weekend, so it doesn't require much advance planning or commitment in terms of taking time off work. However, a holiday is usually longer then a day so it's difficult for me to plan to take an extended amount of time off from work in advance - if that has you chuckling I'm glad it brings pleasure to you.

As for the passport - it takes a week where I am and I collect it so there is no issue with post.

@everyone else - thank you for your useful contributions - I asked the question because we had my daughters passport made when she was 6months and travelled in Europe, Africa and the US but when she was two we were held up for a few hours on a flight into Malaysia - we were eventually cleared immigration. I wasn't sure if that was a one off or if there was some other criteria/requirement that I wasn't aware off.

Thanks

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,227 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Passport Picture

Bit harsh in my opinion Amatrip! Don't know when you've waited at least 2 months for your passport but the current backlog in the UK aside, the form says to allow 6 weeks for a first passport and 3 weeks for a renewal. I've always had mine back in less than a week and my current one came in 3 days. The OP hasn't done anything wrong.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Passport Picture

Dear Dr Jonesss,

My apologies. Knowing now that you had problem with your daughter's passport in the past makes your question more understandable now. After all, 2 months difference isn't a lot, even if a toddler. Most repliers are from America or Europe where this isn't a problem. We don't think you will have problem this time, but I suppose there is a chance in two years time if your son travels through Malaysia airport. It's a rather unusual locality specific problem maybe.

How did you sign up with TA without putting your location? I found it hard to bypass this when signing up! Anyway, knowing you are in that SE Asia general location would have helped me not make a faux pas. I did not consider the religious significance of the haircut obviously, and did not mean to be flippant about it. And obviously the passport application process varies tremendously. EU and countries near where you are may have a more direct, quick way of doing it, personal drop off and pick up etc… But in big USA and prob Canada, there are only a handful of places to process passport applications. We have to pretty much send them in. I would say that 4 weeks is typical for a renewal sans problems. And if you are going somewhere needing a visa, you need to leave more time for that.

And kind of related to the fluidity of traveling in EU and in SE Asian countries, we don't really have that here in the US. Last minutes international leisure trips are rare for most here. It takes a lot more planning; some posters hang out on the forum and plan the trip more than a year out, me sometimes!

I didn't say you did anything wrong. My bad. Apologies again for the poor answer.

14. Re: Passport Picture

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:17