We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover times from Dublin to Montana,US - help!!!

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Topic
Layover times from Dublin to Montana,US - help!!!

Hi!

I'm trying to sort out flights to Montana from Dublin, and as I've never booked connecting flights myself before...I'm getting a bit stressed out!

There are a few options and I'm worried about the layover time. I was wondering if anyone could answer these Q's for me:

1. Will I have to go through visa clearance and security again at each stopover? I'll have the ESTA.

2. Do my check in bags get moved for me or do I have to get them at each stop?

2. Do you think the below is enough time for this, if so.

This is an example of one I'm looking at, at moment, I'm avoiding MSP as I've read it takes ages to move through.

11.15: Dub

13.55: JFK

2H 10 stopover

16.05 JFK

19.19 SLC

2.26 Stopover

21.45: SLC

23.00: Bozeman

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,555 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover times from Dublin to Montana,US - help!!!

One of the selling points of Dublin airport is that it is possible to pre-clear US immigration and customs there. If you are on a non-stop flight from Dublin to a US airport, you go through the US Immigration and US Customs before departure. When you arrive at JFK for example you do so as a domestic passenger, so no customs or immigration.

Assuming you have booked your journey on one through ticket you won't see your baggage again from Dublin to Bozeman, You MAY have to go through security again at connecting points, it depends on the design of the airport and which terminals are involved.

US posters will be able to tell you whether this is necessary, and if the layovers are adequate.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover times from Dublin to Montana,US - help!!!

Assuming this is all on one ticket your luggage will be checked all the way through from Dublin to Bozeman, you will pre-clear INS/Customs at DUB and after this that's all you have to worry about apart possible security checks at the gates of each airport because after DUB you are considered a domestic passenger-for how it all works visit dublinairport.com click on "At The Airport" and there is a short video that explains the whole process

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover times from Dublin to Montana,US - help!!!

With pre-clearance at Dublin I'd say the connection times are more than adequate - you'll arrive as a domestic flight and all you need to do to connect is walk to your next gate.

Even if you need to clear airport security in either JFK or SLC you have plenty of time to do this in the 2 hours+ time. You even have enough time to handle a short delay.

You'll check your bags in Dublin and won't see them again until Bozeman although it's always wise to make sure the check in staff put on the proper baggage tags.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover times from Dublin to Montana,US - help!!!

And based on the destinations I'm guessing this is Delta and you won't have to clear security again at either of JFK or SLC.

I wouldn't avoid MSP if the schedule works for you. It's no more difficult to manage than anywhere else really. It's certainly more spread out than SLC but not a big deal really one way or the other.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover times from Dublin to Montana,US - help!!!

Agree with IrishFan, don't discount MSP as a domestic connection if that schedule works out better for you

6. Re: Layover times from Dublin to Montana,US - help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 06:17