We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Phoenix Layover Question...with Us Airways

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Another Phoenix Layover Question...with Us Airways

I apologize for asking this question again, I have read through the older posts and just want to clarify so I understand.

Our tickets are all purchased from US Airways. Vanouver BC 815 am to Phoenix 12:17 pm short lay over of 1 hr 13 mins before flying out to Cancun at 1:10pm. This leg I understand we will clear US customs at YVR so we will not have to get our checked bags they will go directly on to Cancun. We will just need to switch planes. Is this correct?

On the way back we will have 1 hr 30 mins lay over in Phoenix before heading back to Vancouver. This is the part that I want to make sure I understand correctly. I am assuming it will work just as it does flying into Seattle.

We will de plane, go through customs, then collect our checked bags walk them over to re check them before going through security and then head to the gate for our next flight?

Hoping to not have a huge amount of people doing the same it will be a Friday night 2nd week of December

Thank you in advance, I appreciate all the information everyone shares on this site.

tlc

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,836 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Phoenix Layover Question...with Us Airways

"This leg I understand we will clear US customs at YVR so we will not have to get our checked bags they will go directly on to Cancun. We will just need to switch planes. Is this correct?" - Yes

"We will de plane, go through customs, then collect our checked bags walk them over to re check them before going through security and then head to the gate for our next flight?"

After deplaning you'll clear Immigration, collect bags and then clear customs before recheck bags etc - a connection window of 1 hour 30 minutes is tight in my opinion and you'll have to hope for an on time or early arrival along with minimal queues at US Immigration to make that connection. I personally prefer a connection window of around 3 hours.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Phoenix Layover Question...with Us Airways

I would ask that on the Phoenix/Arizona forums as Phoenix airport is a large airport but maybe not the most common international arrival airport. I think you'll get more answers about how long to allow on the local forum.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,654 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Phoenix Layover Question...with Us Airways

Phoenix doesn't have a lot of international arrivals.

When I came back from Cancun at night we were the only plane.

It depends on what time you are getting in and what time the BA planes might be arriving.

I only had carry on luggage and got off the plane quickly and found myself walking alone after immigration through the long corridor to my next flight because I didn't have to wait for checked luggage.

Usually 1 1/2 hrs would be a bit tight with checked luggage but in Phoenix it might just be possible.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Phoenix Layover Question...with Us Airways

Thank you all for your replies... I figure at least it isn't on the way to mexico. On the way home we can survive if we miss the flight.... just wanted to know what I was in for.

Thanks again

tlc

5. Re: Another Phoenix Layover Question...with Us Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 07:16