We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomsons

Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Thomsons

Im booked a dreamliner flight to Cancun in August on which we upgraded to premium at the time of booking.

Ive been trying to book select my seats for ages but it keep coming up to available yet.

Anyways got a letter yesterday saying reserve a seat now available so logged in and there are no seats left together! Not across the aisle or even behind each other.

Phone thomsons to explain that Im not wanting to go on a ten hour flight sitting by myself especially when we've paid an extra 600 quid to upgrade. To say they were unhelpful was an understatement.

Phoned back today and spoke to someone else who said that there is nothing to worry about, the cabin crew will sort it when we get on the flight.

So my question is has this happened to anyone before? Also im I just being fobbed of with the 'cabin crew will sort it' story?

Im stressing because I dont particulaly like flying and we have always managed to get seats together. This being the first time we have upgraded and not getting seats together is a bit of joke to be honest.

Appreciate your input xx

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
935 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomsons

All of the others would have paid as well. Just my personal opinion, I wouldn't expect the cabin crew to sort it. I chose my seats and wouldn't move. :/

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,454 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomsons

I'm not sure how the cabin crew are going to sort it out. I can't see people who have selected seats to ensure they're together willing to swap. It's not like you have children you are separated from. I certainly wouldn't be moving.

Why didn't you ring to select your seats if you couldn't do it online?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,953 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomsons

Would you expect cabin crew to move someone else who has already paid to accommodate you? Just the luck of the draw it appears I'm afraid.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
40,925 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomsons

Cabin crew will not sort it when you get on board as all the other passengers will have already pre booked their preferred seats either online or by phoning the Flight Extra call center at 90 days before their Outbound flight.

As you were having problems right from the start I cannot understand why you did not phone earlier than you did, why did you leave it so long before contacting Thomson?

I certainly would not move from my preferred pre booked seats.

Angie.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 20:06
Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomsons

Hi Claire. There is a thread on the Punta Cana forum where a number of people have said they have managed to book their seats before the 90 days by phoning. If they tried once and they were told no, they phoned back until they got someone willing to do it.

I agree that there is little chance that the crew will be able to move people around - people have chosen the seats they wished so are not going to move.

Looks like those who have got in early have booked the seats. Maybe you can keep checking incase anyone moves around?

Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomsons

I understand what you are saying. I suppose I have never that this issue before. This is the first time I have flown thomsons and I just trusted that when I logged into check and it said seats not available to book yet I just took that at face value. We go to mexico every year amd have never had this issue.

I am not expecting to seperate other people. The seats that left there is a possibility that if people moved along one we would be able to sit behind one another. The problem I have is when I phoned them the women told me there was no way of checking if people were in a group (apparently noone in thomsons can do this), she told me that if I downgraded to economy to sit together that we would not be refunded what we paid to upgrade, she refused to put me through to her manager and then when I said I wanted to complain about the service that 'thomsons does not have a complaint department'.

I suppose I just wanted to check the possibilty pf t actually gettig sorted so as not to get my hopes up on the day.

Lesson learned, stick to companies that know the meaning of customer service!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,953 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomsons

Not sure what you want to complain about? Thomson offered you a choice of sitting together by downgrading but at least getting your money back. What is more important to you, sitting together or sitting in PE?

Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomsons

Im annoyed because there system failed when I tried to pick seats an numerous occasions, they will downgrade us but not give us our upgrade premium back, the woman was extremely rude and unhelpful on the phone, when we originally booked the holiday the screwed up the room selection as well and when I ask for contact deatils to who to complain to about bad service they blatently lie by telling me that thomsons does not have a comllaints department!

Maybe I have been lucky in the past with who I booked holidays with but this whole process from start to finish has been a farce.

I dont expect extra special treatmenr to get them to seperate people but I do expet a company to get there process correct, give halfway decent customer service and at least refund me for a service that I wouldnt be using.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomsons

Sun magic - you don't honestly think it is worth the OP losing £600 premium seats (no refund as stated) so they can sit together?

I'm sure you used to get guaranteed seats together with Premium (although that did include seat behind or across aisle) so this must not be included anymore. Sorry Claire but think you are stuck with these seats. Any luck with the return journey?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,454 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomsons

The premium upgrade includes the price of paying for reserved seating, or sitting together, but it's impossible for them to guarantee seats together because they've no way of telling or controlling who will book which seats. Seat numbers aren't guaranteed anyway, even when you have selected them.