We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia (UK) Refunds

Ebbw Vale, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Expedia (UK) Refunds

Hi everyone, this is my first post, so please bear with me.

Has anyone had any poor experiences withy Expedia regarding a refund?

I recently booked a holiday to Las Vegas in December for 4 people, including flight & 2 rooms.

However, I received an e-mail from Expedia 4 weeks after booking the trip advising me that the airline, Virgin, had moved the flight from the Sun to the Sat & they were querying if I wanted to continue with the holiday or cancel.

When I asked if Expedia could make the arrangements to change the hotel reservation to reflect the change of flight, they said they couldn't, so I obviously cancelled the booking. I was then told that a full refund would be given in 10-14 days.

However, over 4 weeks later, I have only received the hotel reservation fees, leaving me still waiting for £2,073 for the cost of the flights.

I've contacted Expedia, but all they tell me is that they have to wait for the airline to refund them, before they can reimburse me, which I think is unreasonable, bearing in mind my agreement is with Expedia.

I've tried speaking with the CS representatives in Expedia, who I believe are in India, but to be honest all they do is try & "fob me off", which I'm not prepared to accept. I've also sent them numerous e-mails which they seem quite happy to ignore.

Anyone offer any advice?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,531 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia (UK) Refunds

Expedia T&C

"2.2.4 Reimbursements

In the event of a refund to the Customer after the above deductions, the relevant amounts will be transferred back by the party that took the original payment (such as Expedia, Inc, a Supplier, or such other party as may appear on Customer's credit card or bank statement) to the payment card used to make the original booking. Any booking charges applied will not be eligible for reimbursement. ***Customers should note that refund of flight bookings may take up to 6 months***"

"3.1. Air Transport Services

Air transport services may be offered separately or as part of a Flight-Plus (see Section 3.6) or package holiday ****and are subject to the Rules and Restrictions (including conditions of carriage, fare rules and restrictions) of the Supplier***. The Rules and Restrictions may include restrictions on and/or charges for cancellation and changes. The Rules and Restrictions of Suppliers of air transport services are made available prior to making a booking and the specific terms of the relevant Supplier can be re-viewed here"

"If Expedia receives payment from the Customer for a booking of air transport services, Expedia acts as agent of the Supplier of the relevant air transport services. ***This means the Customer's contract for the air transport services is between the customer and the Supplier*** of the relevant air transport services"

Edited: 19 June 2014, 22:51
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,076 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia (UK) Refunds

I can understand your frustration but when you paid Expedia they in turn paid the airline so it's normal for them to await a refund from the airline before they can refund you - just one of the many perils of 3rd party involvement.

Airlines can sometimes be a little slow in processing refunds.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,535 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia (UK) Refunds

As you've not booked a package your contract will be with Virgin, which is presumably why you're having to wait.

Bondi, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expedia (UK) Refunds

Yep i tried getting changing a hotel booking twice actually. I accidentally put in the wrong dates by one day.

Both times I ended up having to pay for the extra nights out of pocket at the hotels normal rates.

Expedia is great if you plan your trip perfectly with no changes. For business etc when things may change I would not recommend using their service.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expedia (UK) Refunds

hi there, yes ive had this problem too, but i diodnt book through expedia.its true that you have to wait for the airlines to release the funds back to you.i dont know why it takes themn so long, but some airlines are better than others..

good luck

Ebbw Vale, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Expedia (UK) Refunds

Thanks everyone for your comments, but oddly enough I received my refund today.

Cheers

Karl

7. Re: Expedia (UK) Refunds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 06:16