We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA / AA flights e-ticket question

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
BA / AA flights e-ticket question

Hi to all. I was just checking the e-ticket sent to me by BA for an upcoming trip to JFK and return. The tickets for 4 persons were bought from the BA site and they are all under a common code. In the e-ticket a paragraph said: "If your itinerary includes an American Airlines flight, we recommend you contact us to pre-assign seats." The LHR-JFK part is "Operated by American Airlines", however the flight number listed is BA1516. I called the BA help center for an explanation on this, but could not explain it and they gave me the AA number to call (long-distance call for me). They only said that for sure online check-in would be through the BA site and not through the AA site. Does anyone know what does that mean? Is it a security thing for AA? Thank you

Andreas

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA / AA flights e-ticket question

It means that the flight from LHR to JFK is operated by AA and you are unable to select seats on an AA flight via BA.com.

The best way of selecting seats on the AA flight is to get your AA PNR (6 digit reference) from BA and you should be able to select the seats on AA.com.

I'm not convinced their answer about online check in is correct - in my experience check in (either online or at the airport) is always with the operating carrier.

The BA flight number (1516) simply means it's a codeshare flight with AA.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA / AA flights e-ticket question

Thank you very much. You confirmed my thinking, so I called BA again and asked for the 6-digit code and they gave it to me - good thing I saw that. Did not even know I should have a separate code for AA, since everything was in 1 ticket - live and learn. I will try to get the seats from AA.com. Thank you again.

Andreas

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BA / AA flights e-ticket question

Heathrow to JFK is AA 101 from Terminal 3

you can track todays flight at FLIGHTAWARE.COM /

Edited: 20 June 2014, 12:45
UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA / AA flights e-ticket question

Try to make sure you can get pre booked seats for the AA101.

I've flown it several times for work and it always seems to be overbooked with people been transferred onto a flight around 14:30 with BA

5. Re: BA / AA flights e-ticket question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 06:16