We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas cook Manchster to Cancun

england
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thomas cook Manchster to Cancun

Hi, just wondering if anybody can answer a question for that Thomas Cook don't seem to be able to...

Myself and my husband are booked on TCX 324 Manchester to Cancun on Sunday 22nd June.

I have logged in to manage my booking regularly over the last few months to keep an eye on things. We were never given the option to upgrade to premium seats at booking or afterwards. On the seat plan for the plane where you can select seats the premium cabin is visible, but shaded out and says "upgrade cabin unavailable."

I have read that these are allocated on a lottery basis at the airport? Does anybody know if this is the case?

Thanks

Edited: 20 June 2014, 16:13
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas cook Manchster to Cancun

No, they're not allocated on a lottery basis at the airport. The outbound seats did use to be a couple of years ago, but now they are only prebookable. If you want to upgrade you would need to contact either your agent, or the airline direct.

england
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas cook Manchster to Cancun

Thank you for your reply,

Very confusing, the lady at Thomas cook just told us they are not pre bookable on this flight.

Just going to turn up and get what we're given!

Thanks, Clare

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas cook Manchster to Cancun

I'm not sure what you are actually asking, in light of the comment " get what we are given" are you asking if they are allocated for free at the airport?

UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas cook Manchster to Cancun

You may be able to pay to upgrade at the airport if any are available

england
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas cook Manchster to Cancun

I'm asking are they allocated for free at the airport as Thomas cook have told me that the cabin exists but they are not prebookable.

Depending on price we may have upgraded if we were given the option but they're not offering us that.

Just wanted some clarification as I've read all different things regarding Thomas cook flights online and not sure what the current situation is.

Thanks, Clare

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas cook Manchster to Cancun

Ok,that's what i thought.

I can't see why thomas cook would have a premium cabin and chose not to sell those seats to people willing to pay for them, but instead give them out for free at the airport, that would be a very unusual business model in my view. The whole point of a premium cabin is generally to generate extra revenue.

However why they chose to allocate only at the airport historically beats me as well.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas cook Manchster to Cancun

For a while, because of the APD, they did stop charging for them outbound and they were allocated on a lottery basis at check in, but its over 12 months ago since they stopped doing that. They are only given as extra legroom though, no perks. They were payable on the inbound where APD doesn't apply.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas cook Manchster to Cancun

So they felt the price was so high due to the apd, it want worth the cost for anyone and no one would d buy them, so they decided that was the best option?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas cook Manchster to Cancun

More or less. They discontinued premium for a while. Because of APD rules they couldn't charge for seats in the premium cabin without incurring the higher APD rate, so they were allocated free, as extra legroom, on a lottery basis. They charged for them, as extra legroom, on the inbound.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas cook Manchster to Cancun

Doesn't show a lot of faith in your premium product and how much it can command really.,,,,,