We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check in on codeshare United/Lufthansa and United/Brussels

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,153 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Check in on codeshare United/Lufthansa and United/Brussels

I have 2 codeshare flights booked through United, one with Lufthansa (FRA-KRK) and one with Brussels Airlines (TLS-BRU). Last time I flew on Lufthansa with a codeshare with United, I couldn't get a seat assignment when I checked in for my flight with United online or at the airport. I had to wait until my connecting airport (can't remember if we could get it in ORD or had to wait until FRA). I couldn't get the boarding passes either.

However, when I checked my reservation on United's website, it conveniently includes the PNR for Lufthansa and Brussels Airlines. Can I check in again with those websites after I check in with United and move my seat? Or access my reservation within 23-24 hrs and move the seat before I check in with United?

These are fairly short flights and I'm traveling alone, so it's not a huge deal where I sit, but my daughter and I were split up on the previous flight, so I just wondered if this would work. Besides, I'd rather not have a middle seat if I can avoid it, even on a short flight.

While I'm at it, when I do bag drop/print boarding passes at TLS, would that be with Brussels Airlines? I think it's with the operating carrier, but I can't remember for sure. Also, will I be able to print all my boarding passes at TLS, or will I need to wait for BRU for the United ones?

Thanks for any information.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Check in on codeshare United/Lufthansa and United/Brussels

If you have the pnr you should be able to see your reservations on the airlines website and check in on line.

Bag drop is with the operating carrier. When you get to the departures hall there is a huge screen which tells you which desk to go to and the flight numbers will alternate between the different marketing airlines for a given flight.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,153 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Check in on codeshare United/Lufthansa and United/Brussels

Thanks. That's what I thought for bag drop (and boarding pass printing). I thought last time we checked in with Lufthansa for the return and got all our boarding passes at once. I might actually try mobile boarding passes this trip as I've now moved into the 21st century and purchased a smart phone, but I think I'd still like paper ones for backup. (I don't really trust technology that much...)

I can see my reservations online now on the Lufthansa and Brussels Airlines websites. I just didn't know if I could check in again if I had checked in with United already, or if I should (or even can - I think they may not assign seats until check in) look at my seats before checking in with UA. I guess I can always experiment since it's a short flight and I don't care that much about the seats. (I'd like to have the boarding passes though.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Check in on codeshare United/Lufthansa and United/Brussels

Are they connecting flights? If so you may be able to get all passes at once, if not, you can get them from the other airlines. You will find out when check in online opens.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,153 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Check in on codeshare United/Lufthansa and United/Brussels

Yes, they are connecting flights, all booked on United on one itinerary.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,730 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Check in on codeshare United/Lufthansa and United/Brussels

I've always had problems with OLCI on multi-carrier flights with United and Lufthansa. In the cases when I have been able to check in online, one airline messes up the other's seat assignments. So I've just quit and gone to the airport, and double checked that my pre-assigned seats have been maintained. It's usually the LH end that does the messing about.

If they're separate flights - in other words on the same itinerary/ticket but not immediately connecting - then you may have better luck. You could try calling LH or SN and see if they can assign you seats over the phone.

And yes, you do bag drop (and check in if necessary) with the operating airline.

Good luck.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 05:59
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,153 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Check in on codeshare United/Lufthansa and United/Brussels

By separate flights, do you mean a multi city booking? I guess they're immediately connecting. I have 2-3 hours in each of FRA and BRU between flights. I guess if I can't do it online I could call them within the 23-24 hr period to see if they can assign seats. I probably won't bother though, I'll just deal with what they give me since it's only a couple of hours on the plane.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,730 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Check in on codeshare United/Lufthansa and United/Brussels

btgm - What you have sounds like what I call directly connecting. (What I call) separate would be FRA-KRK on a separate day and hence requiring a separate check in.

My experience is that you cannot check in with each airline separately for their legs. You'll need to use united.com for the outbound, and Brussels Airlines for the return.

I'd call United first (just in case they can) and see if they can assign you a seat on the LH segment. If not (as I suspect) then call LH.

For the return, be careful when checking in online with SN. You may end up in the position I've found when I've checked with LH for a LH to UA itinerary. On the Lufty website, my United seats were reassigned from best seat in economy exit row to a crummy window seat. That's why I simply stopped and did airport check in. SN may be different, but be careful.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 06:22
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,153 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Check in on codeshare United/Lufthansa and United/Brussels

I think last time I checked in online with United for the return and then did bag drop with Lufthansa at the airport. Is there some reason I can't do that?

Northern California
Level Contributor
796 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Check in on codeshare United/Lufthansa and United/Brussels

United gives code share itinerary numbers, but I have found them useless for online dealings with Swiss, Brussels and South African. Believe it or not, I pick up the phone and call the code share airlines and get my seat assignments that way. Did so last week with South African. So far (over 8 flights) I have had no problems. Upgrading is another matter entirely....

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Check in on codeshare United/Lufthansa and United/Brussels

UA has given me code share itinerary numbers for Lufthansa, Thai Airways, EVA and ANA (All Nippon) which have been useful. If you fly UA from the United States to FRA and then connect on Lufthansa from FRA onwards, I agree with #9 that you could phone Lufthansa to request seat assignments. I haven't done this kind of itinerary since December 2012 when you could get the seat assignment but not the Lufthansa boarding pass until you got to FRA. Unless that's changed, that's what happens.

For UA ticket, I've done MUC-ZRH-SFO Lufthansa connecting to Swiss, and later ZRH-YYZ-CLE Air Canada connecting to UA. I don't remember anything particular or negative about online dealings. I do know that a UA ticket on Turkish makes it difficult to get seating. For ZRH-YYZ-CLE, I got stuck a night at YYZ because CLE was shut down due to a snowstorm. Had the itinerary been 100% Air Canada, Air Canada would have covered the hotel and meals. But with the switch from Air Canada to United, I was on my own. Trip insurance covered the hotel & meals.

Edited: 28 June 2014, 23:03