We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Checked Through

Cambridge, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Baggage Checked Through

Hi all,

I'm travelling from Birmingham, UK to Brisbane next month, via Dubai and Perth, WA. It's all booked through Emirates with the final domestic flight with Qantas. Ordinarily, I wouldn't have any doubt that my bags will be checked through, but is this not the case due to the fact that I'll need to clear immigration and customs in Perth?

I imagine they won't be checked through because I'll need to clear Australian customs somewhere, and this won't be in Brisbane after a domestic flight.

Thanks in advance

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
36,355 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage Checked Through

You say that all flights are booked through Emirates, but are they on ONE ticket, or separate tickets?

That could make a lot of difference.

Good luck,

Hunt

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,646 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage Checked Through

< I imagine they won't be checked through because I'll need to clear Australian customs somewhere, and this won't be in Brisbane after a domestic flight. >

Why not, in the UK that is precisely what happens - immigration happens on your point of entry to the country, customs at your final destination

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage Checked Through

You will go through immigration and customs in Perth, so you will need to collect your luggage in Perth, then transfer to the domestic terminal. Why did you not book on a direct Emirates flight to Brisbane. There are 2 per day?

Edited: 25 June 2014, 22:27
Cambridge, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage Checked Through

Thanks all. It's all on one ticket. And I noticed the direct flights but the website showed significant savings by changing in Perth instead of flying directly to Brisbane.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage Checked Through

How long do you have between flights in Perth?

Cambridge, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage Checked Through

About 6 hours - arriving 1am, and leaving first thing in the morning. Body clock will be all messed up anyway, so I don't mind :)

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
36,355 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage Checked Through

What normally happens, when one has booked either interline, or codeshare flights (partners in One World, Star Alliance, etc.), is that the luggage, regardless of actual carrier involved, IS checked all the way through to the final destination. When one encounters Immigration and Custom (almost always at the first airport in that country), is that one does retrieve their luggage for Customs, and when that is complete, there is most often a re-check counter, very close by, where that luggage is handed off to the final destination. One DOES have to go back through security, as they exited airside, and handled their luggage. That is the way that it *usually* works, and is a great reason to book on one ticket, even if other carriers are involved in the process - that, and a bit of a guard against botched connections, due to delays.

Now, some folk will go shopping and see that Leg A is cheaper on Airline 1, then Leg B is cheaper on Airline 2, etc.. They buy individual tickets, with no concern for connections, or interline agreements - just $. In those cases, regardless of Immigration and Customs, they must gather their luggage get it to the baggage check for the next airline. OK, if they arrive at the airport in T1, and fly out of T1. However, if they arrive at T1, but fly out of T-999, then they have to cover miles of distance. Maybe there's a train, or bus, but maybe not. Also, in that case, there is little to no protection if Leg A's flight is late, and they miss the Leg B flight.

You did well, and the 6 hr. layover should cover all but the most extreme delays - but then you *should* be protected, though that will be on a "next available flight, and next available seat," sort of thing.

Good luck,

Hunt

Cambridge, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage Checked Through

Thanks very much for your detailed response.

9. Re: Baggage Checked Through

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 06:16