We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plane Tickets and Layover

Detroit, Michigan
2 posts
Save Topic
Plane Tickets and Layover

I have a plane ticket from DTW to San with a 2hr 15min layover in ORD. Does that mean I stop in ORD for 2hrs and 15min till I board again? And will I need two plane tickets or use the same one? As you can tell, I don't travel a lot...Please Help

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plane Tickets and Layover

I think to help you we really need to know which airline(s) you are travelling with.

In general terms, the 2hrs 15minutes will be from the time the first plane arrives to the time the second one departs, in that you have to get yourself off the first plane, find the gate the second plane leaves from, and get there before boarding closes, which may be 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time, though it could be less - depends on the airline!

You will need two boarding passes, one for each flight. Again depending on the airline you may be able to get these before you leave home, or at DTW when you check in rather than getting one at DTW and the second at ORD.

Detroit, Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Plane Tickets and Layover

Thank you so much and it is United Airline I believe

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,285 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plane Tickets and Layover

Hi,

It is called a connection not a lay over as you are just going from one plane to the next.

If it is all on United then when you check in on line 24hrs. before your flight you will get both boarding passes.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plane Tickets and Layover

UA uses terminals 1 and 2 at ORD. Both terminals are connected airside so there is no need to re-clear security. If you have checked baggage, it should be transferred for you. Only variation would be if you needed to gate check your carry on (this could happen if you are on a CRJ). In that case, your carry on bag would be returned to you planeside as you exit the aircraft.

5. Re: Plane Tickets and Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 06:17