We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mis-spelling of name on air ticket - does it matter?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Mis-spelling of name on air ticket - does it matter?

My son is travelling to Spain on 5th July and i have just noticed that on his airline ticket his first name has a letter missing. Is it ok or will I have to change it and presumably incur a fee?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,591 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mis-spelling of name on air ticket - does it matter?

The rule is the name on the ticket must match the name on the passport - talk to the airline about getting it changed to avoid any risk of being denied boarding.

There might be a fee but many airlines will make minor changes for one letter free of charge.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mis-spelling of name on air ticket - does it matter?

Hi

Who is your son flying with and did you book the tickets directly with the airline.

Jackie

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mis-spelling of name on air ticket - does it matter?

Hi. he is flying with Norwegian Airlines - booked through Cosmos, I think.

London
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mis-spelling of name on air ticket - does it matter?

Depends who made the mistake. If it was the customer, than I would say don't do anything. One letter isn't going to be an issue, unless it makes a significant difference to the name, eg Ian to Sian. If the mistake is the agent's fault, call them and ask them to check with the airline. Again nothing will probably be done, aside from them adding a note to the reservation.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,591 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mis-spelling of name on air ticket - does it matter?

"One letter isn't going to be an issue, unless it makes a significant difference to the name, eg Ian to Sian."

Until you encounter a jobsworth who denies you boarding - every airline I've booked with says the first/last name of the ticket must match that on the passport exactly, matching nearly is not enough.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,518 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mis-spelling of name on air ticket - does it matter?

I used to fly with just Ron until I heard some horror stories and was then pulled up by KLM for it one day. So now I always use Ronald even if no one ever calls me that. Give the airline a call to see what they say. I agree with TomC that you can get a jobsworth.

London
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mis-spelling of name on air ticket - does it matter?

There are rules, and then there are "rules". Airlines say that it must match exactly, so that most people will double-check their details carefully when booking. There is flexibility in the system for genuine errors.

Speaking as a travel agent with 10+ years experience, I have never had a client be refused boarding for a single letter error on a first name.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,545 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mis-spelling of name on air ticket - does it matter?

How many characters is the Surname/first name all together? Maybe it's too many characters to fit on the ticket?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mis-spelling of name on air ticket - does it matter?

Hi.' Thank you everyone. I am happy to report that AVRO and Norwegian Airways have agreed to change the spelling of my son's name from Jonathan to Johnathan without charge. They are having to re-do the tickets and will email me with those within the next couple of days. It just shows that you have to check every detail long before date of travel. Thanks

10. Re: Mis-spelling of name on air ticket - does it matter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 06:17