We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates - complaint

Manchester, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Emirates - complaint

Travelled from Manchester to Singapore (via Dubai) on Emirates.

On my first leg from Manchester to Dubai, my seat was in a recline position as soon i sat down. I attempted to pull it up, but nothing happened. I assumed a flight attendant would come round and help me, but the flight went off pretty quickly, and no one came. Not an issue i thought, eventually a FA would come round and they would help me put it up. I however remained in a recline position throughout the flight. The seat turned out to be broken, and could not be jolted back up. The flight was full, at least in economy, so i had to suffer being in the recline position through out the whole flight.

When i arrived at Dubai, i spoke to an agent standing outside the flight, and the flight attendant was near by who also explained the situation to him.

I went to a desk, and they told me i should not have been allowed to fly with a broken seat as being in recline position during take off and landing is prohibited. They apologised, and upgraded my to business class from Dubai to Singapore, and then the two return legs back to Manchester.

However, i am not satisfied. Being in the recline positon was an obvious safety issue. I am seeking compensation for what i endured. So far Emirates are offering me a free flight to any destination on selected dates, but i am not satisfied.

How should i purse going forward to get the ideal scenario for myself and the compensation that is matching.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates - complaint

Are you serious?

Did you at any time during the 7+ hour flight to Dubai actually ask for assistance from staff on board? It appears that you did not, and just suffered in silence.

Have you an injury as a result of the seat being in recline?

They upgraded you as soon as they found out about it (after the event) for the remaining legs of your journey AND offered a free flight and you're still not satisfied? Really? And you want more?

What other kind of compensation do you consider appropriate?

To be honest, I reckon you've done very nicely out of this as it is.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,335 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates - complaint

You do not pursue going forward. You say, "Thank you very much for compensating me for the broken seat with an upgrade to business class for the rest of my journey, and a free flight to a future destination."

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates - complaint

'They apologised, and upgraded my to business class from Dubai to Singapore, and then the two return legs back to Manchester.

However, i am not satisfied. Being in the recline positon was an obvious safety issue. I am seeking compensation for what i endured. So far Emirates are offering me a free flight to any destination on selected dates, but i am not satisfied.'

That's great to know what Emirates has done for you. I must remember that the next time I fly Emirates!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,731 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates - complaint

Sorry, while I may be wrong and call me skeptical, I don't believe a word of that. How could you regard that as shabby ... and complain?

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
22 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates - complaint

I should think you would be satisfied with their generous compensation. What else could they do. You suffered no real harm. If you had really thought there was a safety issue, you should not have "assumed" that a FA would help you, you should have pressed the light immediately, summoned one & refused to fly with the seat in that position.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates - complaint

'How should i purse ... the compensation that is matching.' Since the compensation for what has been described is nil, pursuing it will be a matter of getting on with your life.

7. Re: Emirates - complaint

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 04:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emirates - complaint

Lol. Well, I'd give a prize for the most made up post, but I've seen some that are much more creative.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emirates - complaint

1 broken seat = 3 segments upgrade into business class + free flight to any destination?

Sweet dreams are made of this.

Manchester, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Emirates - complaint

Travelerplus ... should i contact Emirates head office in Dubai, not having much luck with their UK office.