We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crackdown on Carryons.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,243 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Crackdown on Carryons.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k752995…

Good info here... About time...

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crackdown on Carryons.

Flew recently on AA 772 to LHR and boarded on time but we pushed off 70 mins later than scheduled because the amount of time it took to store the hand luggage in the overhead lockers and passengers taking their seats all because of the sheer size of some of the items, FA's worked miracles putting them in every nook and cranny of the aircraft, so if AA have decided to enforce the rules then I'm all for it

Edited: 28 June 2014, 20:40
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,067 posts
872 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crackdown on Carryons.

On several recent UA flights (most obvious on a LHR - SFO), the GA's have wheeled out the new sizers, right to the head of the line. Now, they did not place every carry-on into those, but did for many. Quite a few did not fit, but I am not sure what was done with them. On most of the CRJ flights out of PHX, the GA's roam about, handing out gate-check tags, and those carry-ons get loaded into the baggage hold, then handed out on the jetway, or tarmac, at destination. For the international flight, on a 777 (with baggage bins, that go into the hold), not sure what was done. As we boarded in the first wave, with very small carry-ons/personal items, we did not see what transpired with those pax, who failed the "sizer."

Regardless, and even on planes larger than the CRJ and ERJ, we see many pax with carry-ons that just do not fit into overhead, trying to cram them in - not sure how they got past the GA's in the first place, but they did. On recent IAD - PHX, using an A-320, I saw four oversized carry-ons being hustled back up the aisle - not an easy task on a narrow-body craft.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, and how strict the airlines become, or remain.

Thanks for the link/post,

Hunt

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,067 posts
872 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crackdown on Carryons.

<<Flew recently on AA 772 to LHR>>

If I had not noticed the "AA," I would have assumed that you were on MY flight out of LHR...

Even with the new sizes imposed, I am seeing more and more overly large (I can often tell with just my eyes, that it ain't gonna' fit) pieces of luggage coming aboard. More pax are trying to keep from checking anything, and it can really slow down a departure.

I am all for the sizers, and the enforcement of the rules. I do sort of question the new width restrictions, as they make so many existing smaller pieces of luggage obsolete - guess that someone counted the inches between supports in their overhead bins, and realized that 1" less per bag would allow one more bag to placed up there - so that is what they went with.

We also recently flew on a new UA 739ER, and its overhead bins were cavernous. Our briefcases almost got lost, but I could stand them up, so they only took up a handful of inches. Heck, I think that I could have fit one of my old "2-suiters" up there.

Hunt

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crackdown on Carryons.

Hunt-you are so right about the visual inspection, you know straight away that thing is not gonna fit in the overhead, especially when it's larger than than my hold luggage, can only put this aversion to putting it in the hold in the first place down to the cost, it's been a while and it's only happened once (due to "er indoors" passion for shopping) but I believe the AA fee for extra luggage on Int flights to Europe is $100 at check-in, which in the scheme of things isn't too much of a hardship

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,243 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crackdown on Carryons.

It's Not fun, when Your carry on ,gets put down in cargo (with no tags)because you board last and all the bins are FULL , and the Plane is Overweight and they have to Unload and Leave behind 6-8 large suitcases (lucky not mine) .Late late.late.. this was with West Jet. If people and the Airlines go by the RULES things would be much Better

Canada
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crackdown on Carryons.

People are always going to try and get away with the breaking the rules. Its up to the airlines to enforce them.

...and doesn't WestJet allow one free checked bag? It puzzles me that people try and carry-on everything.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crackdown on Carryons.

I agree with the visual inspection also. You can tell just by looking. I'm also sick, if I am honest, of people trying to bring everything but the kitchen sink on board to avoid checking anything and they trying to squish your paltry piece of conforming luggage out of the way so they can squeeze their non compliant bag in to the overhead bin. They also tend to be quite aggressive about it in the way they shove your stuff or their bag in there.

Seriously, check your bag if it's oversize or take less stuff.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,067 posts
872 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crackdown on Carryons.

We are fortunate, in that with our 1K status on UA, plus the UA Club Card, we don't usually have to worry about checked luggage - though with the expanded limits provided, my wife CAN sort of fill more stuff up, and I have to tote it all to the curbside check-in, or to the hotel shuttle... Oh my aching back... Not sure upping her limits is a good thing. [Grin] However, this does allow us to travel with far less in the cabin.

Relative to the new sizes, we did pick up a new, smaller Tumi, for her overnight trips, when she can carry-on. We now have two, about the same size, but the new one fits the current sizes on most airlines. We can use them both for auto trips.

Also, being based at PHX, the CRJ planes force us to limit carry-ons, just by their diminutive size. Heck, I can't even take my camera bag, as it is just too large to fit overhead, or underseat. Need to get a new one, and leave a few lenses at home.

Hunt

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,067 posts
872 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crackdown on Carryons.

Froggy,

<<I'm also sick, if I am honest, of people trying to bring everything but the kitchen sink on board>>

Some years ago, we took the ferry from Maui @ Lahaina to the Island of Lana`i. One pax had two windows AND a kitchen sink! My wife looked at him, and commented, "I thought that I traveled with a lot of stuff." He was doing a remodel in Lana`i City, so he had a good reason for his "luggage." Have not seen such on a plane, yet, but expect to one day.

Hunt

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,067 posts
872 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crackdown on Carryons.

<<...and doesn't WestJet allow one free checked bag? It puzzles me that people try and carry-on everything.>>

SWA allows TWO, and pax still bring on steamer trunks, hoping that they can be forced into the overheads in the 737-700/800. Usually, it ain't gonna' happen.

Hunt