We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York JFK Transffer

mumbai
Level Contributor
80 posts
620 reviews
Save Topic
New York JFK Transffer

I am reaching JFK T4 by Etihad on 11th July at 8.20 AM and I have to catch a AA flight to Cancun from T8 at 11.50 AM. Is 3.5 hours sufficient ?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,535 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York JFK Transffer

Firstly are these flights on a single or separate tickets as this will have an impact on whether the time is sufficient.

If a single ticket I'd say it's enough (just) but not if it's separate tickets.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,168 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York JFK Transffer

IF you have bought 2 completely separate round trip tickets then be aware that if your first flight is late and you miss your 2nd flight you will probably have to buy a completely new ticket!

IF you have bought 1 through ticket just using 2 separate airlines that are partners then it probably will be enough time but not guaranteed.

At JFK you will have to do immigration,wait for your luggage, go through customs, hand back your luggage(if 1 ticket and partners) or take your luggage with you (if 2 separate tickets) then go outside of security to the next terminal. Go through security(if 1 through ticket) or check luggage in again and then security(if 2 separate tickets).

All that can take quite a bit of time!

mumbai
Level Contributor
80 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York JFK Transffer

2 separate tickets

mumbai
Level Contributor
80 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York JFK Transffer

does it mean 3.5 hours are not sufficient with 2 separate tickets ?

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York JFK Transffer

It can take up to 3hrs to clear INS/Customs at JFK then you have to change terminals,check-in, go through security again and get to the gate which normally closes 30 odd mins before the flight

I'm with Tom and Riff on this one, it is far too tight to make the second flight if you are flying from Mumbai?

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York JFK Transffer

Looks like the 08.20hrs arrival is via AUH if you can pre-clear US INS/Customs at Abu Dhabi then 3.5 hrs is very doable

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,535 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York JFK Transffer

"Looks like the 08.20hrs arrival is via AUH if you can pre-clear US INS/Customs at Abu Dhabi then 3.5 hrs is very doable"

It might well be doable but that in itself does not mitigate the risk associated with separate tickets - if the first flight is delayed they could still find themselves a no show on the flight from JFK and need to buy a new ticket.

Assuming their is a similar separate flight on the return they could need to buy a new one way ticket back home if there are any issues on the day.

But having bought the tickets it's a bit late and all the OP can do is to hope for the best.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York JFK Transffer

Tom I say "if" because the flight from Mumbai arrives very late and departs for JFK in the wee small hours and I have no idea of the hours pre-clearance is open in AUH?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,168 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York JFK Transffer

Pre clearance can be done if it is flight EY 101 but NOT EY 103 as described here:

abudhabiairport.ae/english/airport-informati…

It looks like the original poster is on 103 so NO pre clearance and I would not guarantee that he could make his 2nd flight.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 19:48
mumbai
Level Contributor
80 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York JFK Transffer

Thanks all of you