We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

about a stupid mistake and the huge consequences

Save Topic
about a stupid mistake and the huge consequences

(Sorry for the long reading)

I'm a student studying abroad in Canada. About three months ago,I booked a round way ticket to go back to my country and see my parents, both ways have 1 hour stop in Seattle.What I should have known(what was I thinking…) was the States' policy was different with countries like Korea or Singapore,I need a visa even to stay 1 min in an American airport, which I didn't have.

So when I was going to check in for my flight, I was told that I couldn't board without the visa. I panicked so I called the booking website I used to cancel the flight,I paid $150 and it worked, but the ticket was non-refundable, so the $1550 went into a Delta's credit voucher, I can pay $350 to book another flight for myself or it disappears next year.

Since I don't have a visa and I don't need to go to America again(Delta's flights are all related to American airports),I knew I was bummed and the money was basically gone anyway. All the processes cost my parents nearly $2000, it was a huge lose for anyone.I thought about not going back after the lose, but it's my family, I had to see them, so my parents paid double for a non-stop flight so we could be together for a month.

Sorry for the long words, and I know it's a dumb mistake and no one can help me with it, I probably just want to scream it out and warn some passengers who possibly aren't aware of this problem(if there actually is anyone who doesn't know this) so no one would end up like me. Thank you for being patient enough to read this, have a good life!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: about a stupid mistake and the huge consequences

I don't understand, why could you not just get the visa and then reschedule the flight with the voucher?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: about a stupid mistake and the huge consequences

I probably just want to scream it out and warn some passengers who possibly aren't aware of this problem

========

You'd have done a better job had you used a succinct headline indicating the issue, rather than general wording that could apply to any mistake.

However, you have my sincere admiration for not screaming that it was someone else's fault.

Save Reply
3. Re: about a stupid mistake and the huge consequences

I was missing some of the essential files for getting a visa with me, and I didn't have the time for the pending process… But now I am trying to get the files and apply for a visa so I can save some future troubles.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: about a stupid mistake and the huge consequences

Just count yourself lucky your parents had the money to resolve this. Lots of young people don't have that luxury

Save Reply
5. Re: about a stupid mistake and the huge consequences

True, they just had the money to pay for that ticket, it's still a huge spent for the family, but they just wanted me to go home for once in a year… I feel truly awful for letting them cleaning this mess ,it's their life saving I'm spending…

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: about a stupid mistake and the huge consequences

well you will just have to study hard and then get a good job to keep them in their old age!

Save Reply
7. Re: about a stupid mistake and the huge consequences

Indeed, there's no other way to do that

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: about a stupid mistake and the huge consequences

I don't understand, why could you not just get the visa and then reschedule the flight with the voucher?

=====

Time. Only noticed upon checkin the day before.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
522 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: about a stupid mistake and the huge consequences

To StrandedandLost - I'm very sympathetic to your financial loss and agree with others that your parents are fortunate to have the resources and yes - you do sound like a grateful child to have such nice folks.

I did want to say - as sympathetic as I am - I also am very admiring of you to shoulder the responsibility and not blame gate agents or airline personnel as many others have done.

Hope your next trip home is uneventful and relaxing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: about a stupid mistake and the huge consequences

>>Time. Only noticed upon checkin the day before.<<

Yes, but I think delta vouchers last a year, so he can maybe use it for his next trip home, limiting the financial damage,,,,or he could have delayed this trip home and went a few weeks later when he had the visa.